Hauling Uphill

Hi. We'll be cutting down trees, removing overgrown brush, etc. from about 4000 sq. ft. of our downsloping lot. I've rented a large green waste container, but can anyone suggest an efficient, cost-effective way to get the stuff we cut uphill to the container at street level. It's not possible to get any type of vehicle behind our house.

Right now, we're just thinking of putting as much as we can in either boxes or heavy duty plastic bags, and having two people carry one of these up, then repeat (and repeat...) I'll have two other guys helping me. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Greg

Nick Silva

For close to the cost of the container, you could rent a heavy duty chipper/shredder that can handle everything up to a foot or more in diameter... all that organic material would make great soil amendments. :o)

If any of the larger trees are hardwoods, consider putting up a sign for free firewood.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

My son and I hauled a lot of big maple turning blocks up a steep and very rough incline using the following method. He cobbled together what oldtimers know as a stone bolt, a rather crude and heavy sled. Then using a snatch block at the top of the grade, passed the towline from the sled through the block and tied it off to the front bumper of my truck, then with him guiding the sled, and me backing my truck we successfully hauled load after load up that grade. Worked well for us, might be worth a thought if you have a lot to move.

James Barley.

James Barley

Hi Greg, Some useful information would be to know the relation of the lot being cleared to the house and to the road or wherever you plan to use a hauling out point. I do know you said no vehicle. I'm assuming you are either thinking a traditional vehicle like a truck/car/suv, or that its very very steep. How far in distance does the wood have to be hauled etc... If two guys can carry a box up this incline, it can't be that steep else they would loose their footing trying to maintain balance with the load and walk uphill. A year ago, my friend and I used my 4wd ATV to haul wood out of a gulley. We had to cut the wood down in size to fit the 4 wheeler, but it worked. They can climb some amazing stuff when you know how. Another method would be like James Barley described. Another method of block and tackle if its very steep is a outrigger or boom. At the top of your hill put in a 8 x8 post and rig up a boom to it with a block and tackle. Then using ropes you can hoist the load up and swing it over at the top. This would be for a very sheer incline though.

Reply to
Jim M

Stone boat, sledge, or what most of the old-timers hereabout used - hood of a full-sized automobile. Drag by the method of your choice, but if human-powered, get some mechanical advantage to help.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Travis Mahone

"Travis Mahone" wrote: If you don't own one, rent or borrow a pickup with a winch on it ^^^^^^^^^^^^ That will work. We once had to pull a 360 Yamaha dirt bike out of a ravine. A kind soul happened along in a Jeep with a winch on the front, and made an impossible task easy. The slope was so steep that the bike went over the side, dropped about 30 feet, and landed in the branches of a tree. (It was undamaged. The rider dismounted as it left the trail, so he was undamaged also.)

Look for a friend who is into 4-wheeling, and chances are you will be able to work a deal.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

For hauling heavy loads in a wheelbarrow, like the wood part of the debris, you can use two people. The front person slings a rope loop around the wheel brace and pulls and the rear person uses the wheelbarrow normally. I used this method for hauling concrete up a slope.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Hartzell

I like the idea of the chipper, why haul it out. You could lower the chipper down there for the small stuff.

For the large stuff that won't chip how about a "FREE WOOD" sign

Kevin

Reply to
Other Brother Kevin

I don't know where you live, but around here we use draft horses for that.

Otherwise, rent a Bobcat front-end loader and use it as a portable bucket.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Reply to
Grandpa

Have you ever wondered what happens to those people who are given community service by the state. This sounds like a good job for those who need to pay back their dept to society. Most Boy Scout troops are looking for good community service projects. Invite friends over for a good old fashion barn raising and pot luck. Get your friends, family, neighbors, and community involved. One of them will look over the edge and say "we had this problem back in 07" and while he is talking the rest will get the job done.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Doolittle

I doubt if the the state or the Boy Scouts would consider clearing brush from private property "community service".

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Another possibility is to check with the coach of the local H.S. football team and ask him if he'd like a good workout spot for his team! *G*

Reply to
Leif Thorvaldson

Use a skyhook.

Reply to
Bill Badland

"..... One of them will look over the edge and say "we had this problem back in 07" and while he is talking the rest will get the job done. .........."

Well if he was around in 07 (I presume you mean 1907) then it's best for him just to talk and not be hauling logs with the others.

Reply to
David Hill

No! Make that "Free wood for tuning turning"

Reply to
Mike Vore

In any towing or cable under stress keep all persons clear of the radius of the cable should it break or come loose. Under heavy strain a broken cable would be 'ugly' should it whip into anyone. A heavy blanket over the cable will help it drop and drag should it come loose.

2cents Jeff

Greg wrote:

Reply to
jhultman

You need a story teller. Year dosn't matter, place dosn't matter. "I remember back in "X7" up in the _____ mountains we were up hunting. Worst dang year for sketers. Big. Had to use a shotgun on them. Four of them grabed Jimmey from behind. Didn't even see them comming. Flew off with him to feed their young. Then a cold front came in. So cold the flame would freeze right on the end of the match. Had to rub 2 match flames togeather to warm them up to the point where we could start a fire. There we were cold, out of amunition, out of food, snowed in. The bigest bear you ever seen came into camp. Grabed an icicle and shoved it into the gun, aimed and fired. The icicle went into his brain and melted, died of water on the brain. Used the skin to build a teepee and survived the winter."

Reply to
Henry Doolittle