Growing poppies legal?

Page 1 of 3
Now that we have a nice garden and orchard, one plant I am thinking abou tplanting is poppies, because they are cute. Is it legal?
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()

I can't imagine it being illegal. It is the state flower for California.
Brigitte

I have always been told its a certain species of Poppy that is used to produce the drugs, that in general it would be hard or impossible to do with the variety found in most countries. Any truth in that? Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Roy wrote:

I researched this point while considering medicinal plants to grow.
All the true poppies have opiates in them, one strain has less of the types that make people sick. Removing those other opiates is not practical.
The consensus of opinions recently expressed was that it depends on your purpose and use. If wanted as garden flowers then OK but for nefarious reasons it would be illegal. Do not bleed the fruits!! Best Wishes Brian. 'flayb' to respond.

I know that in Russia, drug addicts make soup out of poppies. Very bitter, but supposedly gives a high.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()
Not the same poppy species they make opium from, Iggy.

California.
--
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()
The California poppy is not a true poppy, you stoner, but it is in the same family.

California.

I think he meant to say "rock hound."
-paghat the ratgirl

What is a rock hound?

Someone who loves rocks. I've got 'em all over the garden -- huge hunks of petrified wood, jasper, black jade, regular ol' rocks with interesting shapes, flagstones, ooo, rocks!
-paggers
paghat wrote:

Hey! you belong in New England.
Now we have definite proof she is stoner and not a rock hound.
A stoner is a term for a recreational herb abuser. At least I didn't call you a dead head!!

of
I'm joansin from the bagels last week.
opined:

You got a poppy seeded roll jones?

one
Oh, I thought I was addicted to the herron in the seeds! lol
opined:

one
You called me a stoner and a rock hound. And only because I said that I didn't think poppies were illegal since they were the state flower of California. You always assume someone's a druggie cuz they know a state's official flower? I know other state's flowers too, does that make me a drug dealer?
LOL
Brigitte

<snip>
Those aren't opium poppies....But you can find opium poppies all over the place, growing 'wild', or get them from seed catalogs.
(or you could about 5 years ago, the last time I looked)
As for them being "illegal", what the light does *THAT* mean? Some group of people put something on a piece of paper. Do *they* necessarily follow it? Often not.
Pot is illegal too, but about half the people in America smoke it at one time or another, and 10's of millions do so regularly.
Raw opium is a nice thing to have around. Mellow you out REAL good :-)
One heck of a lot easier to produce than alcohol, distilled or otherwise.
(tell "Cereus-validus" to bottom post and trim them too, if he wants me to read his posts -- if he doesn't, it will apparently be no great loss..)
AC
--
"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a
comfortable living from a small piece of land." -Abraham Lincoln
Alan Connor wrote:

just cuz you like it dont make it legal.