Groundcover vs Lawn advice

Hi,
I live in Westchester County New York and I think I am Zone 6 or 5 -ish. I have a lawn, well more like a weed-lawn, on sloping land. I battle 4 hours each weekend mowing and triming it up and yes the weeds are winning.... Some of the area is in full sun, and some in shade.
I have seen some postings suggesting that ground covers would be a good subsitute. I was thinking of reducing some of the lawn area and planting something else. I am looking for something which will (1) hold the soil to stop errosion, (2) keep the weeds down, (3) low maintenance and (4) no pesticide / herbicite approach, I am surrounded by tress and am anxious that I do not poison these via run off and wind dispersion of chemicals.
Can someone suggest what plants I should try and use? Right now I am trying desperately to patch bits of the lawn with Rebel Tall Fescue grass seed (Home Depot). This works well, but I can only do about 80 Sq feet of the garden per weekend ... and like there is about 3/4 of an acre .... hence I am loosing ther battle. I usually fork over the area and turn the soil over. Place 8-12 bags of top soil on it. Reseed with Rebel Grass, fertilize with Scotts starter, cover with peat. And finally place some sack cloth on top. Then water with a sprinkler. This is time consuming hence I can only do a little bit each weekend. The results look good though....
Thank you for your kind attention. Warmes regards, Mike.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have replaced all my regular grass with white clover. It has been excellent. No weeds, resists drought and produces its own nitrogen (no fertilizer required) and is resistent to insects and pretty well grows anywhere.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd cover it with ivy and plant a small mass of day lillies (maybe Stella D'Oro) in the sunniest patch and a few hostas in the shade. No worries.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

not sure about the zones - but consider lamium, ajuga, and maybe liriope
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

You might consider using Buffalograss. ( http://www.stockseed.com/buffalograsses_default.asp ).
Low water use, almost no mowing... very eco-friendly. After establishment, weed control is very easy. Likes full sun.