greenhouse position

I'm looking at buying a lean-to greenhouse to grow things such as lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions etc but I'm unsure of the best position.
I have 2 locations in my garden in mind; one being by my shed at the top of the garden which gets the most sun during the day (probably at it's peak position at around 2-3pm; south-south west) and the second position against a North-north West facing wall and only really gets direct sun from around noon onwards, but is more in the shade as it is closer to the house.
My partner would prefer the second option as it's closer to the house to get the produce in when needed, but I'm guessing the first option is going to be the favoured position, am I right?
As I'm only looking at a 6' long lean-to I wasn't sure how other factors such as heat/shade etc would play?
--
traceyr

traceyr wrote:

It would help if you said where you are or at least what your climate and hemisphere are. Also the seasons that you intend to grow your salad veges and what the outside temperature would be then would help.
David

The further from the equater the more important greenhouse location.
Word of the day: equinox
brooklyn1 wrote:

And hemisphere can determine orientation regarding shading structures. The OP seems to be posting from the UK but I don't know if that is that conclusive.
Also greenhouses are used in somewhat different ways in different climates. Where I am people use greenhouses to grow warm season things outside summer but the summer is very hot, in that case they either grow nothing in summer in the greenhouse, or put much effort into getting air circulation and partial shading. Using heating in greenhouses is unheard of. In a cold climate things are different.
David
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;836139']brooklyn1 wrote:---

> The

> climates.

> summer

> summer

Sorry for delay in reply.
I live in the UK, in the Midlands. Just looking at typical salad crops such as lettuce, tomatoes, etc. As for temperatures!!! Depends on how good the British summer is that year!!!
Thanks again
Tracey
--
traceyr

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:39:02 +0100, traceyr

Not sure how this could be answered with so little known about your specific location. I'd position my greenhouse to get maximum sunlight, you can always block sun if needed. The thermostatic-controlled windows automatically open when heat is too high. If you have a greenhouse you can move around, all the better. For me, having herbs close to the house is more important, sometimes I need a small amount of fresh herbs while cooking.