Frost II

It seems like my last question caused some misunderstandings.

I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas and for the last two nights the local weather people have been calling for a low of 38 degrees and advising that plants should be taken indoors to protect them from frost.

That was the reason for my first question. I just could not understand their reasoning for such advice.

Now for another question. In the last two weeks I have planted a number of bare-root roses. So far there has not been any frost in my area and my roses are doing great.

However, in the event there is a frost sometime in the near future, I would like to know how long a rose brush can withstand frost on it before severe damage is done to it.

Thanks,

Denis

Reply to
Denis Mitchel

Not often, we have had ice stay a week. The winters here, dip to 20F at night at least a half dozen times. Roses seem to be no worse for wear.

Reply to
Billy

Roses are hardy and can withstand not only frost but a light freeze. At this time of year, however, roses have new growth that is more tender than older growth. You might see some frost burn on new shoots, but the damage will not be permanent. Later new shoots will compensate for any current new shoots that get frost burn.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Many plants are in danger when temperatures fall below 40, so that is the reason for the advisement. Roses are not particularly sensitive to cold, but if the entire rose plant freezes it will die. If there is a light frost, you may have some tip die-back which is no big deal for an established rose. Leaves or compost can be used as a temporary blanket which will help minimize damage to young and tender transplants during a cold snap.

Reply to
Phisherman

My roses just took -5 f. Some like they would prefer 40 F.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Here in Zone 5 roses do fine frozen at around zero all winter with sporadic hard freezes during late fall and after spring thaw begins. A frost may damage flowers but won't hurt the plant one bit. In fact roses (related to apple) do far better in colder climes.

Reply to
brooklyn1

You live in the relative flatlands of Texas. The only concern are "low spots" for frost at that anticipated ambient temperture.. Don't believe the weather advisory folks were speaking in reference to what you're speaking of. If you think so, can you clairify?

Reply to
Dioclese

Because of radiation cooling frost can occur on any cloudless night when the temperatures are in the 40 f or below range.

As for roses..I used live in New England where the winter temperatures often got down to zero deg. and stayed there for several days at a time. I never lost a rose plant to the cold weather.

HTH,

EJ IN NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

"Dioclese" wrote

Meteorology is equally tough anywhere, it's all an educated guess... they mostly guess correctly... but we tend to only remember the screw ups that affect us personally

In Carson City NV they have that wait down to ten minutes.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Okay, I changed chainging weather conditions to what's most appropriate here.

A front blew by early this morning dropping a little rain. Stealth lighting was abound while this passed. (Lot's of observable in-sky only lightning, no thunder). Sky cleared quickly as the morning wore on. Winds with gusts of up to 60 mph. NWS increased rain chances to 50% in our area during that short time period while the cloud and lighting passed through the area. Was

20% day prior.

Elizabeth is still referencing "dry line", for lack of a better term. More power to her. Look up the term for its actual meaning in reference to meterology.

NWS and other meteorlogic services can use all the current technology. At best, its always an educated guess. Some guesses seem more on target than other areas of the country. I've lived in coastal VA and sourthern MS as well. Central TX seems worst on NWS forecasts from my own experiences.

Reply to
Dioclese