fragrant roses.

I just bought a Mister Lincoln. Smells devine. Any sites/suggestions where more good smelling roses can be had? Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Perhaps the nursery where you purchased the one you have? Mister Lincoln does smell wonderful. Too bad he's a stingy bloomer compared to most of the scented reds, and he's prone to both powdery mildew and black spot on a jack and the beanstalk bush. I prefer Chrysler Imperial for a classic scented red as it's a better garden citizen. And Veteran's Honor is the best new scented red to come along in eons. No, it's not as scented as either Chrysler Imperial or Mister Lincoln, but it's got them beat by a mile with disease resistance. It's almost a no spray rose here.

If you enjoy wonderfully scented roses, you need to check out other Gamble award winners like Tiffany, Angel Face, Secret, Sutter's Gold, Double Delight, Granada, and Sunsprite. None but Sunsprite are especially disease resitant and all will require spraying to prevent black spot in a humid climate, but all have a somewhat hybrid tea form that most novices associate with roses.

Now if you want FRAGRANCE in capital letters and also easy care roses, you can't go wrong with some of the antiques that are a bit harder to find. Marie Pavie, Clotilde Souper, Mlle. Cecile Brunner, Perle d'Or, Sombreuil, Blush Noisette, Renae, Bubble Bath, Felicia, Penelope, Prosperity, Marchessa Bocella, Lady Hillingdon, Nastarana, Souvenir de la Malmaison, and hundreds more including the species rosa moschata. They won't look like florists roses, and the bushes are actually attractive, especially since they keep their leaves without being sprayed. You can find many of these available mail order from Antique Rose Emporium, Roses Unlimited, Uncommon Rose, Vintage Gardens, Chamblee's Roses, Countryside Roses, Ashdown Roses, Almost Heaven Roses, and Muncy's Roses.

Sunflower MS 7b with 300 antiques that take little more effort than do azalias and that bloom from April through November.

Reply to
Sunflower

My favorite climber is 'America'. My favorite tea is 'Double Delight'. Most species have intense fragrance as do most hybrids by David Austin.

Reply to
Pen