Eastern Snowball Cutting?

Hi everyone, I have a dear friend who has always admired my Mom's Eastern snowball bush/tree. It is around 20 ft high and really loaded with blooms in the springtime. I would like to try rooting a cutting for her as a special gift before we have to sell my Mom's house. Any special tips you can give me? Somewhere I read that they will be sterile and not produce blooms. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
--
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

in
John the house is being sold. I am the only caregiver to my Mother in stage 7 Alzheimer's. I really do not have the time to read books right now I just need a simple answer. Thank you anyway. Elaine in Ga Zone 7b

Thats as simple as you can get for pruning. Try here: http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub2.html .
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman / Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.
KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006! Why? See his score card here http://capwiz.com/lcv/dbq/vote_info/?command=results&sort=District&lvl=C&bzip=&azip 380

Eastern
blooms
give
Please re-read my original post. I am NOT INTERESTED in PRUNING. I want to do a simple cutting to root.
I would like very much for someone else to give me recommendations on whether this can be done on an Eastern Snowball and still get blooms. Thank you
Elaine in Gad Zone 7b

What does that have to do with trying to propagate the tree/bush?

USDA Zone 8

in
Yes - Eastern snowball flowers are _always_ sterile. However, if you take a cutting and if it will root, you'll get a plant identical to the parent - i.e. it will flower all right :) And it should root pretty easily, use some good rooting medium (perlite+peat moss or sand), stick it in a shadow, cover with something transparent, air from time to time. Cut the sprigs below nodes, they should not be too thick, try bending - if they break easily with a loud sound, then it's just about right width. Ane use rooting hormone and keep the ground regularly moist. One more thought - snowball usually spreads by underground rhizomes or whatever these are called- perhaps it would be easier just to dig a piece of the bush, rooted already? HTH.
Regards, Barbara.

If eastern snowball is Viburnum opulus 'Sterile', the time to take cuttings would have been in early June -- treat with IBA at 1000 ppm and root in sand or perlite under mist. You could try that now with the most flexible, youngest growth you can find --- I'd take a fairly large number of cuttings, at least 20. I'd try a second set of cuttings with 8000 ppm IBA and rooting under mist, too, since it's so late in the season.
Any chance the new owners will give your friend permission to take cuttings next spring?
Kay