Does anyone know what this is??

I have an unidentifiable insect(?) in my flowerbed. I've been searching the web and these posts for days but haven't found anything.
I first noticed some very small black things on the leaves of some of the plants. They can be scratched off. They are round and flat and hard. Then I noticed these cone shaped things almosts covering the dirt in the bed. At first I thought it was just a growth or something because of all the rain we've had. Each cone holds many of these small black discs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a photo for anyone who needs to see.
Thanks, Traci
Traci wrote:

Post the picture to alt.binaries.pictures.garden
USDA Zone 8b
I don't have alt.binaries.*
This link should work to show you the picture. It's a bit fuzzy, but hopefully identifiable by someone.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/wendy1testaburger/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com /
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com (Traci) wrote in message

Artillery Fungus Sphaerobolus stellatus