Dahlia grower new to group -- is this moderated? Allow promotions?

Hello all: I haven't followed this group since about 1992. I'm a small organic, dahlia grower in Iowa, and was wondering about the rules on this group. Is it moderated? Are you allowed to promote your own business (e.g., tuber sales)? Can you post a link to your own website?
I'm accessing the group via Google Groups, and didn't see that these questions were addressed, other than the general admonition to not post spam. I suppose any unsolicited promotion might be considered by some to be spam, but my own criterion is that the advert be repeated multiple times in a short period. What's the protocol here?
thanks Al Gabis Fairfield, Iowa, USA Info "at" Dahliasorganic <DOT> com
In article

Not moderated, and some of us, at least, will take exception to solicitations.
If you just leave your signature as is and help answer questions, I'm sure that you will be greeted warmly. Be advised, we do have our own assortment of loons. Who they are rather depends on your point of view.

Tightly wrap tape around a roll of dimes.

--
- Billy
On 5/4/2010 2:13 PM, dahlias-organic wrote:

Well Al, I guess if you do anything too bad I can always find you because I have a business in Keosauqua, IA which is only about 18 miles south of you.
Don

Hey Don: We're neighbors! Small world. Stop by the dahlia bed if you're up in the FF area. Easy to find -- east of MUM's tennis courts. Not much to see right now -- but when flowers start blooming in late July, it's becomes an attraction.
regards Al
dahlias-organic wrote:

I think genuine involvement will get you much further than empty spamming.
David

I agree. What can Al offer ?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Bill and David: My real passions lie in other areas. The dahlia enterprise is a backdrop for a foray into community development; social and political activism at the grass roots (with a book on the way). We need a new paradigm. But politics is a very tough arena -- nasty in fact. I'd like to see more people connecting with the earth. Many folks garden as a hobby, but we need people who are willing to try farming for a living (farming the way we used to -- not the commodity, monocrop, factory operations that we have now). So I'm trying to set the example by doing. Organic flowers is just a niche. But a beautiful one, and one that I enjoy. Not many people do it, because it tough to make an actual living at it. At least, if you're focused on a local market. My market here in rural SE Iowa is quite small, so I'm feeling my way into this whole thing.
IN terms of contributing as a gardener, I have no doubt most folks on this board are far more knowledgeable, but I will certainly keep my ears open and throw in my 2 cents if I think it has any value. A long time ago, when I used to read this group fairly regularly, there were some real experts who came online -- professorial types. I wonder if any of them are still around?
Here's my tip of the week. Just recently heard a lady named Elaine Ingham speak. She's an expert in compost, and the application of compost tea. Listening to her, you come away believing that there is absolutely *nothing* that can't be accomplished in the garden, or on the farm, using compost tea (*correctly brewed*, I should add). Her success stories are spectacular -- indeed, almost unbelievably so. And on gigantic scales -- thousands of hectares! Boy is she ever convincing, and obviously knows her biology! Her website is: http://www.soilfoodweb.com
cheers Al Gabis www.DahliasOrganic.com
On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:22:06 -0700 (PDT), dahlias-organic

My small experience with growing and selling organic flowers is that none of the humans cared that they were organic. I applaud your efforts!

That's a shame, that your buyers didn't care about buying organic, because when you say "organic", it means that you are making top soil, a swiftly disappearing necessity for a healthy environment.
--
- Billy