Daffodil Planting

I purchased several different varieties of daffodils and I'm wondering how I should go about planting them. Should I mix all the bulbs up or plant several different areas with one variety?
-Fleemo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Well I like them both ways. If you have enough bulbs, why not take 2 of each variety and do a mixed planting and use the others in monotype plantings and see which _You_ prefer? You can always dig them up next year and change if you want.
Emilie NorCal

I do it both ways, planting about 100 bulbs per year all over the place. If I were you, not knowing what you wish, I would try it both ways and see how you like it. As Emilie says, you can always move them later. Tomes

Is it possible to plant bulbs in the spring for spring (late spring?) blooming? I never seem to get it together in the fall to do the planting and I kick myself every spring.
FragileWarrior wrote:

FragileWarrior wrote:

Hi - This is my first posting in therse groups - so I hope it works. You can plant your daffs in the spring - but they will come up a bit later and flower a little later. Also the flowers will not be as good. Hope this helps. Am I allowed to put my gardening site link on here - www.gardenseeker.com
snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote:

than mixing them up - especially if naturalising in a border or lawns for instance. In pots = you could mix them, but they will probably be a bit uneven in height and maybe even flowering time.

snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote:

than mixing them up - especially if naturalising in a border or lawns for instance. In pots = you could mix them, but they will probably be a bit uneven in height and maybe even flowering time.

Some varieties bloom earlier than others, so if you mix them and plant them, you will have a sea of foliage with perhaps only scattered blossoms at any time. If you don't mix them, you will have a mass of blossoms, even if you cut some for display in the house.
We have beds of mixed varieties, with a few selected areas where we have concentrated some varieties. I think that is the best of both worlds.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Daffodils are wonderful flowers since animals care less for them than other bulbs, they come back every spring and they multiply. I would consider the height and bloom time and perhaps the color of each kind when planting. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Since we're having such a mild winter in west central Indiana, what would happen if I got my hands on some bulbs and planted them *now*? Would they die if a freeze hit before they could grow roots?

I think that they would do fine. If I ran across more daffodil bulbs I would buy them and plant them now (in NJ). Tomes