Crocus and Daffodil planting

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in late summer?

Will they do that ok?

Reply to
Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@forethought.net:

no. if you buy & plant them now (where would you find them?) they will bloom next spring. crocus & daffodils are spring flowering bulbs. there *are* some autumn blooming crocus though. maybe you can find & plant some of that type now. lee

Reply to
enigma

"Lady Liberty" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@forethought.net...

In addition to what enigma said, beware of buying pots of spring bulbs that are already blooming. The flowers don't last that long, and then, you're left with bulbs. They pot, soil & bulbs are way overpriced for what you're getting.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter "Lady Liberty" snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMPlanetaryBillOfRights.or

Will they do that ok?

In addition to what enigma said, beware of buying pots of spring bulb that are already blooming. The flowers don't last that long, and then you're left with bulbs. They pot, soil & bulbs are way overpriced for wha you're getting.

the potted flower prices here are nuts there is no way that i woul spend 6 to 10 dollars and more for a pot of flowers that has bee forced and wont last long enough to enjoy them so doug is sure right o that point. as well if u plant bulbs now they wont have the root base to flower fo one and also they are spring bloomers as enigma has mentioned. mayb getting fall crocuses would be an answer otherwise look around you garden center and see what other bulbs they have to offer u maybe will find something that u really like. good luck. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

You might be able to fool the bulbs regarding the season. This requires refrigerating them for several weeks, then potting them and placing the pots in a cool dark space until shoots appear. Even then, the results are not necessarily as desired; and if they do bloom out of season, the bulbs are then often worthless for replanting in the ground.

The most important thing, however, is that any bulbs that you find now are probably not in good condition. They were at their prime last fall and are likely left-overs that could not be sold.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I see people buying them at Home Depot and I wonder what's going through their heads. Hopefully, they want them for centerpieces at a nice dinner in the next 48 hours, and nothing else. Much of the time, the pots contain tulips which are going to burst their petals any minute.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have them.

Reply to
Pennyaline

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out

Doug Kanter

Crocosmia are not crocus!

Autum blooming crocus (like saffron) are a bit hard to find. Holland Bulbs is one company I think has them. I did get some from some catalogue, but they only see them at the right time for planting. A google should do it....They are not something most garden centers even know about. Look for small specialty places.

bahB

Reply to
bahbcat

Jeez....dumb mistake. Sorry. Doing 10 things at once.......sorry.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Crocosmia is not a crocus.

Reply to
Travis M.

Thanks. I've already been corrected. My archives knew, but the brain was doing other things at the time. :(

Reply to
Doug Kanter