Spring planting bulbs for Colorado?

What are good perennial bulbs for Colorado ( zone 4? ) , that can be planted in spring, will bloom in summer, and spread each year?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Dahlias should fit the bill. One caveat is that you have to dig them up for winter, or buy new tubers each spring. If you divide them after digging up, you get an exponential growth in the number of plants each year though.

Strong points of dahlias are that they bloom for months and months, and offer great variety - there's thousands and thousands of very different cultivars available. Just search for dahlias on http://images.goo= gle.com/ to get an impression. Also, AFAIK there is a rather active dahlia society in Colorado, which can be a big benefit (or, at least you know somebody grows the flowers in your state... :) ).

Reply to
Risto Varanka

Yeah they're gorgeous. I tried some a few years back and they were great, but didn't dig them up & they died.

What about zone 4 perennial bulbs that can be planted in spring & bloom in summer.

Arent Crocus Sativus that way here? And they yield the most expensive and tasty spice in the world - saffron!

Reply to
Jane_Galt

It could be a bit cold for them, aren't they grown around the mediterranean where summers hot and dry and winters cool and damp?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Hello All , I am a new one in this forum and really like the greenery around , This forum provided me confidence to grow the flowers for my spring season.Very nice forum and very nice post to brief . Thank a lot.

Reply to
Jack01

Dahlias should fit the bill. One caveat is that you have to dig them

up for winter, or buy new tubers each spring. If you divide them after digging up, you get an exponential growth in the number of plants each year though.

Nice piece of advice. By the way, you can check for a great selection of Dahlia Tubers at \"

\"

Reply to
rengiesuerte