curly-Qs on my garlic plants

Hi All,
My three hold over garlic plants from last year, on their center spires have a curly-Q. And what looks like the start of a flower pointing downward.
Is this normal?
Also, somewhere I heard to bend and tie the flowers over to send the energy down to the bulb. Anything to that?
-T

They are called "scapes," and are quite delicious. We look forward to them each spring.
Boron
On 05/31/2014 07:03 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

Hi Boron,
I just looked up how to cut them on you tube and how to cook them somewhere else. I have a pan of Garlic Chicken that awaits them tomorrow!
Thank you!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 05/31/2014 07:03 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

Hi Boron,
I just pick them. They have a green onion (scallion) overtone with the garlic. Oh Man they are good.
Thank you so much for teaching me. I though I had mutant garlic!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 5/31/2014 6:22 PM, Todd wrote:

To "send energy down to the bulb" -- actually, to improve the bulb's vigor -- cut off the flowers.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 05/31/2014 07:22 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

Hi David,
Thank you!
I am going to eat the scapes!
-T