curly-Qs on my garlic plants

Hi All,

My three hold over garlic plants from last year, on their center spires have a curly-Q. And what looks like the start of a flower pointing downward.

Is this normal?

Also, somewhere I heard to bend and tie the flowers over to send the energy down to the bulb. Anything to that?

-T

Reply to
Todd

They are called "scapes," and are quite delicious. We look forward to them each spring.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

To "send energy down to the bulb" -- actually, to improve the bulb's vigor -- cut off the flowers.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hi David,

Thank you!

I am going to eat the scapes!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Boron,

I just looked up how to cut them on you tube and how to cook them somewhere else. I have a pan of Garlic Chicken that awaits them tomorrow!

Thank you!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Boron,

I just pick them. They have a green onion (scallion) overtone with the garlic. Oh Man they are good.

Thank you so much for teaching me. I though I had mutant garlic!

-T

Reply to
Todd