Cold Frame

Anyone provide basic design reqiurements for a d-i-y-winter cold frame

Choice of materials, features etc

-- John Mulligan

Reply to
John Mulligan

Time for a trip to your public library, or a google search. Books have already been written. No need for anyone here to write another one.

If you a find a design that involves glass, or using old windows, ***AND*** you have baseball-playing kids on the property, think "plexiglass" or something similar.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

One that served me well for many years had 2x2 corner posts, scavenged plywood sides, and a 1x1 framed lid fitted with double poly. Painted the outside black and the inside white. Add an automatic vent closer for the lid.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Plastic glazing is more likely to stay in one piece than glass. Recycled materials work as well as new. Protect from freezing overnight. Locating the frame on a southerly side of your house helps. Keep a blanket handy to throw over the sash during overnight cold snaps.

Hay bales are excellent insulation and can be stacked around the cold frame. You can in fact build a cold frame by arranging bales in an open square and laying an old window sash over top.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I suggest you go to this article about building mini-greenhouses for ideas:

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny