Cider update

Checked it yesterday - almost 5 months after manufacture. Been sitting in glass carbouys. Nice clear appearance with some scum on the bottom. Varies from a very pale honey colour to a mid honey colour. No sign of film on the top of the cider. Looks good, tasting experiment will start in about 3 odd months to be sure.
rob

.... I lost your address somehow Rob ... just post it here OK ? Thanks.
.... MMmmmm .... cider ..

depending on the tasting, I'll get back to you. You'll be up for the postage eh. Still, cider vinegar doesn't come cheap.
rob

Sparkling or still? Best not open until prepared to bottle. The fewer times they are opened, the better it will be. Bottling, bring Free SO2 to 30 ppm, and gas bottles with argon, or CO2, or N2. CO2 usually leaves a little spritz.
--

- Billy

first 2 batches are still. But when bottling will make a variety of sparkling & still. I will experiment with sugar and raisins for the sparkling. The 3rd batch is sprakling, bottled already just after fermentation. Will be a variety of experiences.
rob

"Sur lie" may still have fermentation odors. I presume your using punted bottles. Unlike beer (croisening [sp?]), mthode champenois wines are disgorged to remove the sediment of bottle fermentation.

Good on you. Let us know what your preliminary assessment is.

--

- Billy