Chipper/Shredder Recommendations

Hi. I am wondering if you would recommend a chipper/shredder for what I would like to do - and if anyone has any recommendations.

I would mainly be grinding up fairly small branches off of shrubs and understory trees that I have pruned, branches that fall on the ground, and perennials that I have cut down in the spring, and for grinding up leaves - though that is not absolutely necessary - since I already have a leaflbower/shredder and I can also grind up the leaves with my lawnmower.

I'd like to put the waste in my composter to eventually mulch my perennial and shrub beds with. All of the ones I see, say they will take up to 3" branches which seems kind of excessive for what I'd be doing. Are there ones that are less expensive for just smaller branches, but that still work, or am I better off going with one that can handle larger just in case.

Meg

Reply to
megsnewsgroups

Get one one or two sizes or pwers larger than you think your current needs are. A few years ago I bought the largest petrol model that was still considered domestic grade that I could find.

Within a month I was trying to munch stuff that would have suited an even larger model.

3 inch branches are quite large and anything that wil handle those should be fine for you. Last Christmas i bought a foliage muncher as a present for someone. This is fine for all leaves, stalks and foliage and cost around the $A100 ($US60 mark), but my recommendations (subject to your budget) are: Buy larger than anticipated Buy petrol rather than electric (they tend to be built stronger) Get one with a foliage hopper as well as a brach feeder.

Good luck

Reply to
uy2618

Check out the Billy Goat brand.

Reply to
Tom

How many (large) trees do you have? If over 100, consider a 8 or 10 HP chipper/shredder. Look carefully at the junction between the shoot and the chipper/shredder body--it should be a cast piece rather than a welded piece. That piece takes a lot of stress and you want a good warranty on your machine. A tight-fitting dust mask, goggles, ear protection, heavy pants and gloves are recommended.

Reply to
Phisherman