cardinals

Hi there:
A friend (who doesn't use newsgroups) was telling me that she has trouble with female cardinals continuously flying into her house windows. One particular bird even goes so far as to walk around the house and try to methodically get into all her windows. She is doubtful that window decals will work.
At least one male bird is always around.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Sally
Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

Why is she doubtful that window decals will work?
Angrie.Woman wrote:

Well, it doesn't look as though the birds are all accidentally smucking into the windows. At least some are making a concentrated effort to get in for some reason. Doubtful that decals would work if that were the case.
Sorry I don't have any solutions to offer Sally!
KD
KD wrote:

I think that the hawk shadow decals would be a deterrent no matter the motivations.
Oh, sorry. I thought you just meant something that would show that there was glass there and it wasn't just open air for them to fly into.
KD
That's interesting. We've had males that spent hours fighting with their reflections in the window, or the mirror on the car, but I've not seen females exhibit that behavior.
I know females of some species are protective of nesting areas (falcons, for example); I wonder if that applies to female cardinals? She could be defending her place from her reflection.
Sallyrat&Sweetie wrote:

I've seen females battling their reflection in my car windows and mirrors, and even on the hood.
Main problem there is that they perch on the car while doing this, leaving little white trails all over the side mirrors and doors.

Swyck
She should feed them regularly. Like every day.
If she didn't feed them, they wouldn't be coming around expecting food.