Canyon in the Garden State (New Jersey)

I just saw Garden State(a movie worth seeing for this), and this film of an underground canyon in New Jersey, that was uncovered, when someone was trying to building a shopping mall. I guess they had to stop. Mother Nature stopped them cold. Does anyone know anything about this. It's kind of a gardening question.
Perhaps they are alluding to the abandoned hard rock mines in Morris, Passaic, Warren and Sussex counties?? I have traveled around a bit and am aware of no large caverns beneath my beloved NJ. I am eager to learn more, though... Mike
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist

During the heavy rains this past summer NJ had several hundred dams fail and serious flooding, so they must have some kind of canyons. I guess it is all nomenclature. What is called a mountain in the East is a hill in the West. What is called a valley in the East is a gully in the West. We usually don't use the term canyons in the East, we call them Water Gaps except in Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon at Wellsboro. The East is more glacial while the West is more volcanic and platelet related. So we have more glacial valleys. The west has big erosion canyons.
And most dams in NJ are under 30' high, as I recall. Serious flooding is often because people have built on the flood plains, all the way into the 10 - 15 year flood zones (areas around Trenton come to mind). In the northwest part, near the mountains, there are some river valleys that some might call canyons, but not via the terminology I learned.