Tree identification - roadside in northern New Jersey in August

Please identify the two trees at:

the site is not accessible, please go to:

select the "Plants" album.

Thank you.

Reply to
swim learning

Tree one is possibly Gleditsia triacanthos, var. inermis OR Gymnocladus dioecus.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Plant 2 is winged sumac (Rhus copallina) I know what Plant one is, but am drawing a blank on the name. Arrg. It is not Gleditsia, Sophora, Robinia, Gymnocladus...

Reply to
Mike LaMana

I am concluding that plant 1 is Sophora Japonica, also known as Chinese Scholar tree or Japanese Pagoda tree. I found that the petals of the flower are not symetrical; about four of them surround the pistil and stamens but one of them is spread (not curled up),folded back and the tip goes into the sepals. Beautiful flowers in July-August.

Plant 2 is Rhus Copallina also known as winged sumac (supposedly there is a wing between leaves), shining sumac or dwarf sumac. Thanks Mike.

Reply to
swim learning