Can a tomato seed grow into a pepper?

Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos. Also in the garden we had several pepper plants. This year I plant my own saved seeds from last year. Now I have 18 nice plants, but 3 of them have pepper shaped leaves, the rest are normal and no I did not get pepper seeds mixed into the tomatos. I'm real curious what these will turn into. Is it possible a pepper and tomato can crossbreed?

Reply to
RonKZ650

No, they won't crossbreed.

If you saved seeds from hybrid tomatoes, you may have a throwback to a potato leafed variety. If you are counting on the same kind of tomatoes you had last year, you will be disappointed.

You cannot save seed from hybrids and expect good results...surprising results maybe, but they won't be true to type.

Are the pepper shaped leaves shiny and hard or are they soft and fuzzy?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

If "Burpee Fourth of July" is a hybrid then saving seeds from it won't give you true offspring.

See Point 1 in:

FarmI

All varieties of tomatoes are the species Lycopersicon esculentum. All varieties of peppers (both hot and mild) are the species Capsicum annuum (yes with two u's). Since they are in different genera, hybridization between the two is very unlikely. However, both are in the Solanaceae family (which includes potatoes and eggplant); so a hybrid might be remotely possible. "Remotely possible" would exclude 3 instances out of

18 plants, an occurrence of over 16%.
Reply to
David E. Ross

Oh my... the attack of the alien sunflowers! LOL

Reply to
brooklyn1

No. It's not possible. Two different genera.

Reply to
Billy

No ... Hmmm ... I wonder.

I had "Sweet Cherry 100" tomatoes growing next to "Banana Peppers" last year from direct seed in the ground. One of the pepper plants had a mix

- half of the peppers were traditional long yellow peppers and the other half was small round red peppers on the same plant. It was a cool looking plant. It was a busy summer, I should have taken a picture. They looked just like round red cherry tomatoes and tasted just like a sweet banana pepper. It was a new food item?

The answer in my book is yes to cross pollination. In this world, evolution can take many shapes and forms including crossbreeding, in plants, in humans, in animals and diseases (like swine, bird and human) influenza. Quote from the film Jurassic Park "Nature Will Find A Way".

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be awaiting what I get. Whatever it is it will be a tomato at least it looks like.

Reply to
RonKZ650

When there is SUCCESSFUL cross-pollination, the seeds might produce plants that are a hybrid between the two parents. But the fruit containing those seeds is true to the parent on which that fruit grows.

For example, you can't get a tangelo growing on a grapefruit tree that was pollinated by a tangerine. Instead, you get a grapefruit whose seeds might produce a tangelo tree.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I did say the on the "Pepper plant" the small red round looking like a cherry tomato tasted like a "pepper". So I am not sure if your statement is confirming my statement or rejecting it. As for the seeds of the plant that may be true.

I do not believe in absolutes in nature. There are always some small exception somewhere in life.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

But tangerine and grapefruit are both of the genus citrus unlike genera Capsicum and Solanum. They are of the same family but to my understanding that isn't enough. Anyone have information (not opinions) to add?

Reply to
Billy

"Burpee Forth of July" HYBRID

This could get you that Nobel Prize that you always wanted for your fireplace mantel.

Reply to
Billy

No, Science says this is not possible, at least as we know it today.

Reply to
Phisherman

Last year I had planted a big patch of banana peppers in close proximity to a few jalopeno plants. The banana peppers were supposed to be sweet but they were nearly as hot as the jalopenos. Now if someone could grow a tomato hot pepper combo, with a bit of garlic, onion, and cilantro flavor thrown in for good measure they would have the perfect all in one salsa tomato.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Yes two genera can be crossed to produce a hybrid, Example Heucherella from Heuchera and Tiarella. It is very unlikely to occur naturally, but with man's help, yes. Genera need to share the same chromosome number.

See

of the week/articles/Heucherella.htm

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Sorry, can't keep my thumb off the space bar

mleblanca

Thank you for the most enlightening response, dear lady. It is always a joy to learn.

Sincerely,

Reply to
Billy