NYT column on bees

Good read!

Bill whose oldest daughter is named Linnea.

Reply to
Bill

"As there is mounting evidence for increased pathologies and deterioration in performance when around-the-clock activity is imposed on most animals, including humans, detailed study of the plasticity of the circadian organization in honeybees may provide pointers for ways for us to have our 24/7 cake and eat it."

I suspected that there was a good capitalistic reason to study the honey bee. After centuries of struggle to achieve the 40 hr. week, capital is seeking a way to get us to work 24/7.

"We have been exploiting honeybees for thousands of years by systematically robbing them of their honey. The least we can do is take proper care of these wondrous creatures. Instead we are killing them off in their billions through our befouling of their environment. The honeybee brain has only a million or so neurons, several orders of magnitude less than ours. It is a moot point as to whether humans or honeybees make the best use of their neuronal resource."

Here's hoping the flange-head who is using Sevin to control the Japanese Beetle reads this. It's obvious that he will be killing a higher intelligence than his own.

Apologies to flange-heads everywhere but Neanderthal is so overused.

Reply to
Billy