Boxwood indoors

I have a small, about 4 feet high Boxwood plant and was wondering, how easy is it to grow cuttings from this plant?

I thought maybe trying to start some indoor plants?

Reply to
Michael

It's relatively easy, but now is not the time to do it unless there is new, fresh green growth on the plant now. Trim off about four to six inches and dip the end into rooting powder and keep the soiless mix moist, not wet. Also, it should be kept warm.

Reply to
Jangchub

I'm not sure I'd want indoor boxwood.. we have several in our front yard and they have a tendency to smell like cat pee. Maybe it's just certain varieties, but the smell is really strong some days.

Reply to
amyky123

Why am I imagining your cat laughing to itself as you were writing that?

(I have a sick sense of humor).

Reply to
Michael

They probably are. (they're monsters). But we have indoor cats. I thought for a while that maybe there were some neighborhood cats that just loved our bushes, but I noticed that boxwoods in other places smelled the same. So I googled it, and found out the plant itself does smell like cat pee. Again, I don't know if it's all varieties, or how strong the smell would be indoors.. but our bushes are right outside our front door, and it's definitely noticeable.

Reply to
amyky123

Pretty hard. I think it's possible, but you'd probably be better off air-layering. Personally, I'd just buy one at Lowes or something, you can get a small one for $4-5.

As far as I know, there is one kind of Boxwood that you can grow inside: Buxus Harlandi. Most types need to go through dormancy in the winter in order to live, and need cold temperatures for dormancy.

Reply to
Scooter the Mighty

I misread the original message. I thought this person wanted to root cuttings, but I didn't realize it was for houseplants. If that's the intention, boxwood will not thrive indoors.

Reply to
Jangchub
[...]

buxus sempervirens suffruticosa

Genus: Buxus Species: sempervirens Cultivar: 'Suffruticosa'

Reply to
jsmit

Holy cow! That explains it! I have several boxwoods around my yard and have often thought I smelled cat pee around them, even though never see a stray cat.

Jo Ann

amyky123 wrote:

Reply to
Jo Ann