Boat Painting

Hello, I am new to this list and the world of boating. So please forgive me if I ask some stupid questions.

I recently acquired an old 15' runabout probably a 60's model that used to belong to my grandfather. It's nothing special but has some sentimental value so I am going to attempt to fix it up. It had been left uncovered for

2 years and was in pretty bad shape when I got it. A few days ago I completely gutted it, since everything was covered in mud and standing water. I actually had moss and some small oak trees growing in it.

So anyway I have it all cleaned up. I gutted it and pressure washed it inside and out. It desperately needs a paint job. But since I don't want to put $2,000 into a boat that I could buy for $500 with a decent paint job already, I am going to attempt to paint it my self. So no doubt I have some questions. If someone on this has time to help me out I would really appreciate it.

  1. I plan on sanding it down with 120 to 220 grit paper. I have a palm random orbital sander and a palm circular sander. Which one would be best to use?

  1. What is the best way to paint a boat? I have an air compressor with a cheap gun. I have no issues buying a good gun if the cheap one wont work. What type of primer can I use and does it have to be a special primer? Any suggestions on the paint. I want to do this the cheapest way possible and still have it look decent.

I need to buy seats and carpet too, is there a good place online to buy this stuff for cheap?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David J.

More boat accessories than you'll be able to sort out here:

and:

Doug Kanter

I have read about the roll and tip method and people seem to think it works well. I have an air compressor and a gun though. Would this be a better way to do it?

Also, instead of sanding can I use a stripper of some sort and them pressure wash it off?

For fiberglass what is the recommended primer and paint (cheap but good).

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David J.

Like damn near everything I spew about, I know nothing about painting a boat. I did help my grandpa when I was a kid so that makes me somewhat of an expert don't it?

I can copy/paste boat store URL's gooder too!

Reply to
Doug Kanter