Black Snake in Basement

I agree, snakes (er, the non-venomous types, that is) are very beneficial! I'd much rather a non-venomous snake live in my crawl space than rats! I draw the line at spiders that move across the room (spiders in an established web are beneficial, though, but that doesn't mean I like them!). And scorpions in the bathtub are a no-no (yes, I found one in a home in Austin, TX - they come up the drains like roaches). Hehehe - arachne would be envious :)

Sky 'staying up too late'! hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

Reply to
Skyhooks

Sky wrote >>I draw the line at spiders

Reply to
Ka30P

Spiders don't bother me much, but lizards are another story. I am a bit of a reptile-phob. Just the site of a reptile sends shivers down my spine, harmless or not. A few years back we found a lizard in the kitchen and together with my 17 year old daughter, and 5 year old son we carefully kept it cornered until my 10 year old son got home from school. He was the only one of us crazy enough to even touch a lizard. Yes, all 3 of us remained armed with broom, flyswatters and pot lids for over an hour. You can't imagine the relief we felt when we heard the school bus coming. My 10 looked at us like he lived in the wrong family, I am sure he was wondering if there was some kind of mix up at the hospital. Here we are screaming for help and what does he do? Take time to exploit his panicked family by quickly negotiating his fee. This kid never misses an opportunity for a quick buck! That darn lizard cost me an $11.50 removal fee, which I gladly paid after the lizard ran across my toe.

You don't even what to know what he charged me to bury his own dog that died under the house a couple years later (it took a week to find the poor thing). When he came to collect he made sure to explain that if I thought it was too much he would be glad to dig her back up and I could do it myself.

What was I to do but pay up?

Reply to
norma briggs

Norma wrote >>What was I to do but pay up?

Reply to
Ka30P

ohmygod... is that funny! I got a lot of practice snatching geckos and anoles off my friends house in alabama... DH really wanted some. I didnt know I could move that fast. I got one thing makes me nuts ........... ticks. I am thinking I should take a page outta your 10 year olds book there and start charging my DH for every computer he wants me to get up and running, for unclogging the drain, etc. INgrid

"norma briggs" wrote: My 10 looked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Eww....roaches come up from the drains??? Hmmmmm.........

amy

Reply to
Amy D

LOL..lizards don't bother me much. My six-year-old son caught the one out of the bathroom the other day for me. Spiders don't bother me much anymore but I still have a dislike for snakes.

amy

Reply to
Amy D

Reply to
norma briggs

DAY 5 1/2 -

Still tearing apart the basement.... No snake, no mice, no anything in basement

unloaded and moved a shelving unit, found something that looked suspiously like a clove of garlic behind the unit.....NAW...couldn't be..... my friend was helping me down in the basement, so I mentioned that I found GARLIC in the basement..... turns out she heard that snakes do not enjoy garlic with their mice.....so she spread garlic around the basement. I thought we were chasing down a snake, not a vampire !!!

Found some magazines on a bottom shelf..... One headline in U.S. New and World Reports blared out " Will THEY help pay for the Gulf War"...... this was written back in 1990 almost 15 years ago, when GB senior was harassing Sadam Hussein, who incidentally was threatening to destroy 1/2 of Israel with chemical weapons.... Call Colin Powell, we have proof of chemical weapons...

I gotta clean my basement out more often, I was reading American Handyman from

1958 (the kitchen remodeling was somewhat dated).... and Popular Mechanix was still running cigarette ads.

Still no snake.... guess he didn't like the magazines either.

Well, we got half of the basement cleaned, washed and disinfected.... So far my friend has not seen ANY of the replies to these messages....otherwise...she'll never come back into the house let alone use the toilet facilities......

By last reports, she was look>

Reply to
Peter

norma wrote >>Does DH mean dumb husband?

Reply to
Ka30P

You haven't tried the punk rock band option. I tell you it will clear your sinuses, unblock pipes, strip varnish and realign your spine.

kathy :-) Once upon a pond

Reply to
Ka30P

"'enry VIII" wrote in news:V7Qxc.73750$Ly.46033@attbi_s01:

heh, must be a California King snake habit. mine did the same thing. fortunately she chose to crawl into my bed & not my parent's, since i hadn't yet figured out how to tell my snake- phobic mom that my snake was loose...

lee

Reply to
enigma

My snake story: I had netting around some garden plants to keep the birds and animals out. One day I saw a 3ft. rat snake hung in the netting. Being the good smaritan that I am, I decided to free it. It's head and about 6 inches of body was on one side of the netting, so obviously I worked on the other side. I took a pair of scissors and began carefully cutting the netting. The snake kept a wary eye on me, but was amazingly calm. When the very last piece of netting was cut, he struck through the netting and bit me on the index finger. Talk about gratitude! No harm done except for the few tiny teeth he left in my finger. It was kind of cool to show people my snake bite. Six months later the final tooth came out.

Bob S.

Reply to
Enuf

> dennis

Dennis,

The link to the story was no good...could you just give an overviiew?

Lynn

Reply to
LFR

I had a similiar experience. I had about a 5 footer hung up in the netting over my vineyard. I did now he was there until I was positioning shoots one day and he was about 6 inches from my face before I saw him. He was tangled up REAL bad. I tried to work him out of the netting but could not. Now, after hearing your story about the bite, I don't feel so bad about taking him out in about 4 different pieces. BTW - I also live in Maryland.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann