Big, easy houseplants for bachelor idiot

Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy some more house plants like it. So here's what I'm looking for:
1. Just green leaves, preferably not flower bearing. (Fruit bearing is ok I guess.) 2. Durable- can withstand both cold and heat. I live in the northeast USA. 3. Big. Like, I can buy big ones for cheap. How big- like 2 to 8 feet tall. 4. My windows are north facing, get fairly good light in the summer but not direct sunlight. Less light in the winter obviously. 5. (House plant, indoors, remember).
What are some more plants like that? Thanks,
dt
Sansevieria and Aspidistra (Cast Iron plant) come immediately to mind. Google is your friend. Try plugging "easy house plants" into the search and you'll get lots of hits.
Val

Aspidistra is as easy-care as they come. It does put out some blooms, but it is grown almost exclusively a foliage plant. Some varieties of dracaena would fit your requirements (especially the one sometimes called the "corn plant"). Just don't overwater or overfertilize. Dieffenbachia is another good choice.
MaryL
On 2008-04-20 11:17:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said:

Snake plant, chinese evergreen, Shefflera to name a few. Maybe even a Cymbidium orchid!
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Heart-leaf philodendron (grown on a peat-moss pole) Arrowhead (Nephthytis) (grown on a peat-moss pole) Cast Iron plant (Aspidistra) Peace lily Mother-In-Law Tongue (Sansevieria or snake plant) The peace lily will produce large white flowers and likes more water than the others. Sansevieria over 10 years may produce dense and fragrant flower stalks, although I have one over 25 years that has never bloomed. The snake plant and philodendron are classic bachelor plants and I have seen these two growing in the same pot. The pothos and phildendron are different plants but are similar in appearance/behavior. The cast iron plant is one of my favorites and seems to thrive well on neglect; I have had one bloom and it appears as a curious purple straw flower at the soil surface. None of these plants can survive freezing temperatures, except the cast iron plant, maybe.
Hi there,
The cast iron plant is one of my favorites, I have had one bloom and it appears as a curious purple straw flower at the soil surface and seems to thrive well on neglect. It'd be worth putting it in a decent planter. Google "passion for pots" , they have a decent range.
Good luck Mr.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com;785567 Wrote: > Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy

--
Ghost Orchid