Best ULtrasonic device for cats please

First of all, I am glad to have joined the forum and have enjoyed reading some of the posts.
I am having trouble with a cat that keeps fouling right next to my house(10cm). To make matters worse there is an air brick vent there - I am sure the smell is travelling into my house.
I have tried cat powder and mothballs, both made no difference. I am thinking of getting a device that sends ultrasonic sound out. It has to run off batteries and be water proof and above all work!
Can anyone provide a link to a device that they have tried and know that it works well?
--
Moonman2

Fi-shock. They will never come on property again.
Steve

Its not ultrasonic but may work, Search for "cat scat mat" it a plastic mat with plastic tips they may deter the stray cat. Traps/Cages work also, many local communities provide the traps at no cost.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Perhaps you could domesticate a coyote for a pet. They just love cats! YUMMY, YUMMY :)
Moonman2 wrote:

Whose cat is it? Is there no way the owner can keep it out of your yard?
David

What planet do you live on? There is no way you can keep a cat out of a yard, except to motivate it NOT to come into the yard. I had a cat that terrorized my cat for months. I got a HavAHart trap, and set it. I caught the cat. I hosed it down very good so that it would go home clean. Upon release, the cat never ever came on my property.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

It's just as well I wasn't suggesting that isn't it. The owner might be persuaded to keep it at home, some do as a matter of course. The owner might not know it wanders and be mortified that it causes problems. The owner might not give a toss either but until you ask you don't know.
David

or it could very well not *have* an owner. there are thousands of feral cats in the US. there are lots of brain-dead morons that get cute kittens, keep them for a few months & then dump the un-neutered (because it costs money & it's "just a cat") animal out in the country somewhere because it's no longer a cute little kitten, go back to the pet store & get another cute kitten. to the OP, a motion activated sprinkler should help with your problem. there's no such thing as an ultrasonic animal deterrent (well, not one that actually deters any animal. there's are plenty of places that will happily take your money for something that doesn't do anything))

I've got a "stray" that I feed but will not come closer than 20 feet. He? is blue black and looks like a small leopard. Leaves dead mice on my porch. Guess I favor it as it looks like our deceased midnight.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Actually, there is one device. <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/23/tech/main4039016.shtml

--
- Billy

What do you mean? Do you smell the cat poop inside the house or not?
Cats usually bury their poop. You might not smell it and the cats eventually fill the space and move on.

Bullets are ultrasonic, no? Oh, my bad. They're trans-sonic. But they work.
Chris

Bullets are ultrasonic, no? Oh, my bad. They're trans-sonic. But they work. ______________________________________
Bullets aren't easily obtainable in all countries and nor are they a good option in proximity to close neighbours.

Heh. Depends on whether you're a good shot.
Chris

.22 shorts make almost no noise. Even better, .22 birdshot (yes, there is such a thing) won't even do more than sting to something the size of a typical domestic cat.
Chris But yes, jail time is a consideration.

.22 shorts make almost no noise. Even better, .22 birdshot (yes, there is such a thing) won't even do more than sting to something the size of a typical domestic cat. ___________________________ Noise is probably irrelevant as is any suggestion about shooting the animal by any means other than with a shanghie (sp?). The OP posted from gardenbanter.co.uk. Although that 'UK' is not necessarily proof of location, there is a more than even chance that the OP lives in the UK and thus has sod all hope (or desire) to go shooting anything.

Yeah. All my comments were tongue-in-cheek anyway. I might not hesitate to sting a cat with a BB or pellet gun, but I would not shoot to kill.
Chris