Backyard Fence

Page 2 of 3

....you are indeed the poet, my old friend.

And these few lines have made a difference. Thanks.

The bushel will not cover all the lights. As irritated as some may be about our frequent discourse that some claim to be OT, perhaps, just perhaps, someone has been touched and will spread the word. Gardening begets garden philosophy. Ya jist niver know, eh?

Ahhhh.......what a wonderful morn it will be!

I would gladly trade you your chilly overcast for what we just got (others worse, I know)......six inches of flurries and effing single digits at nite.....will it never end?

;-)
Si
Carpe Máximo ;-) Carlito
Add pictures here
✖

Charlie it may be useful to have a diabetic friend check your Blood Glucose.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, Bill.
We have a glucometer and we test at least monthly. Kids test regularly also. We are all eating lower on the glycemic index and the results have been positive. Wifey and I both drink a glass of bitter melon decoction daily. Prior to starting the low GI and bitter melon I was running 120-130 FBS and she was 125-135. Hers is in the 100teens now.
My last fasting test registered 92 and 2-3 hours after meals that day it was never above 115.
The herbal concoction and all the water I drink kinda wrings the juice outta me. I should probably cram my three doses into a tighter schedule and lay off any liquids after early evening.
BTW, did the herbal list hold anything of interest for you?
Charlie, playin' with two grands and will likely wind up asleep before long....maybe
Add pictures here
✖

I like Hawthorne Berry, Bitter Melon, Garlic, prunella (self-heal) *Billy*, Vitamin C , K and D, Cinnamon and Pycnogenol (aka Pine bark). I also drink pomegranate juice.
Just found out that Bitter Melon can be dried and will store well.
I shop here http://www.pennherb.com/index.html as they close about 35 miles.
Bill who thinks Polan on food is the way to go.
Most of the above can be researched here.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&amp=&tool=toolbar
http://scholar.google.com /
http://www.cardiosource.com/index.asp
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖

Sure can...I bought it dried, but will grow this summer and dry.

I buy here..... http://www.herbaladvantage.com /
Seems to be cheaper than your source and it's in my state.

Absolutely
Here are a few more that I use
http://www.umm.edu/altmed / http://www.pfaf.org / http://www.rain-tree.com/plants.htm
http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke / http://www.holistic-online.com/herb_home.htm
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖
Billy wrote:

Hey Billy!
Don't lean too far over...my fence needs repairs! lol! ~Rae
Add pictures here
✖

Whoa. Rachael how are you? Last I heard, things were dry in NC and it doesn't sound like it got any better. How you doin'? What ever happened to your pasture. How's the hay business? How are the kids? How's your winter tan coming along?
Here, on the other coast, we've had a wet, but not exceptionally wet, winter so far. If we don't get anymore rain, it will be just sorta average.
You gonna be able to put in a garden this year or are you to busy raising your family to fight "Mother Nature"?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
✖
Billy wrote:

We are good, we've had some thunderstorms and lots of rain in the last couple of weeks, but not nearly enough to put a dent in the drought levels.
What ever happened

When they saw that we wouldn't be run over, they offered to fix things back up after they finished fixing "their ditches" so that we could put our livestock back. We had moved all the horses & cows here to the house while everything was going on, so that we could be sure of their wellbeing. We took the DOT up on their offer, and they almost have everything completed. We have yet to decide whether or not we really want to put our livestock back there. My FIL wants it, so we are thinking of just renting it out to him.
How's the hay business?
Hay business is very slow right now. The drought sure did not do us any favors there. We won't get started up in hay this year until the end of April or so.
How are the kids?
The kids are doing great. They are currently "hiding" behind the rocking chair and playing farm. Go figure, huh? lol! Wyatt will be 3 on the 21st of this month. Breanna turned 1 in Jan. We did a BBQ for that of course, and yes, we had all the trimmings. I thought of you and Charlie when making the sauce!
How's your

What winter tan? We actually had some cold weather, but not much. I was really hoping for a bit of snow for the kids to play in some, but the only time we had flurries here, it was about mid-night and they were long fast asleep. The weather has been so wishy-washy with cold one day and warm the next, that it's wrecked havoc on allergies, so I've not really be out too much. Trying to keep the kids in so they will stay well. Only one visit to the doctor this winter so far, and I want to keep it that way.

Ha! I will put something in, just not sure of how much yet. Gotta have the staples...beans, peas, peppers, cukes, maters, okra, and zukes! Breanna is big enough that she can be out and about some when that time comes around. We will be moving, so I'm not sure yet how that will affect planting. We are in the process of buying a house & small farm (105 acres), but at least it's bigger than our current place!
Thinking I may have to do some raised bed techniques, and some 5-gallon buckets for the earlier crops. Any ideas or thoughts on that? I'm not sure if I want to follow my grandfather's ritual of planting on Good Friday this year or not. That's right around the corner and weather still isn't quite right. I've been bit by the planting bug though! Can't wait to get started!
Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!
Catch ya later, watch that fence post there now. Gotta get round to replacing it! lol
~Rae
Add pictures here
✖

Hay business can't be all that bad or is your husband workin' 24/7? A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Sounds like you should be planting portables (pots and buckets and such). If the new house isn't to far away, maybe you could start preparing the ground there. You could give the present owner some token sum of money for rent so that it wouldn't be misconstrued as taking possession.

Wasn't me!

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
✖
Billy wrote:

Ha! It really was, only about $11,000 last year, that's total, before any taxes. And he's nearly working 24/7, put in 163 hours in the last two weeks, and it will be picking up more soon. He works outside of our business for a local big-time farmer, and that pays pretty good for around here. That farmer deals in everything, from row crops to hogs and turkeys. Got a good deal on the house and land as well.

Slice, batter, and fry, stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

everyday and easy to move.

Are you sure about that?? lol! No, I'm surprised you didn't smell that one all the way over to where you are at...let's just say...it was very strong!

Add pictures here
✖
rachael simpson wrote:

Instead of boiling in a pot on the stove, my wife now puts it in a dish of water in the microware and just brings to a rolling boil. It is not near as "slippery" cooked this way and more people like that!! To me, I was raise on it boiled on a wood stove until it was almost falling apart, so either way is good to me. I also like it sliced across in 3/4" or so pieces, battered in corn meal and fried crispy!
Tom J
Add pictures here
✖
Tom J wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised Billy hasn't killed me yet about the *fry* comment...lol! cholesterol anyone? At least I don't fry them in lard like my grandmother used to do!
Add pictures here
✖

No problemo. I got a special dispensation from Charlie this morning.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
✖

Go, and sin no more, my son.........
Speaking of lard.....I recently bought a pound to season a new dutch oven and rehabilitate some old pieces I acquired and damned if they hadn't gone and ruined lard by hydrogenating it. Bastids. When did they start that crap? Gonna have to season me cast iron with organic pig bacon, it seems.
In a similar vein.....other than olive oil, should one trust the oils we have been led to believe are healthy? Canola, corn? Last I heard, none of Canada's canola can be certified as organic on account of GM contamination. One can assume the same for corn oil.
Today we made a large pot of vegetable zoup and had cornbread with it. Guess what Lovey decided to use in the cornbread? She substituted the bacon grease from this morning for the "healthy" oil. OMG......it's been decades since we had cornbread that good.
Ha! Here's a market niche fer ya, Billy. Lard, from organic, grass-fed hogs. Oh, the irony!
Hell, I keep this up, I'll be waitin' for *you* on the otherside of this situation.
Care, brother, carefully Charlie
Add pictures here
✖

Oh hell, just add plenty of salt to the oil or lard and scrub out the pan. Don't rinse. If it is a long time before you re-use the pan, repeat treatment and rinse.
Grass fed. That's the trick.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
✖

Thanks for the tips Tom:-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
✖
rachael simpson wrote:

Stew with tomatoes or saute in a little butter.

--John
✖

Thanks for the tip J.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
✖

Here's one of our favorites, ya gotta add whatever proportions sound good to ya.....we be cookin' here Billy, not measurin'...this ain't Food Lab.
Stewed Okra and Tomatoes (for specifics and variations, go to cooks.com)
Tomatoes and juice or broth or water or wine (I always add some wine)
Onions...lots of em... and garlic...lots Sliced Okra.....lots and lots Green Pepper.....or red....or not.
Simmer sliced okra in water for five minutes, drain, set aside Saute onions nicely as well as peppers Add garlic last minute or so Add tomatoes and liquid and okra and simmer til ready (20 mins or so) Season with something hot and cajun like.....Essence is always good.
We ladle over brown rice and then I get stupid with hot sauce. Tabasco Chipotle is one of my favorites. It is good on everything.
Enjoy, this is some seriously good stuff Charlie
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, kid.
--