April trees

Ordered my seedlings from the state about an hour ago. 200 seedlings, including the "quail bundle". I am trying a new one this year: tulip poplar.
wish me luck
cheers
oz
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:34:07 -0800 (PST), MajorOz

Maybe this is your new tree:
http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/liriodendron/tulipifera.htm
"Yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), also called tuliptree, tulip-poplar, white-poplar, and whitewood, is one of the most attractive and tallest of eastern hardwoods. It is fast growing and may reach 300 years of age on deep, rich, well-drained soils of forest coves and lower mountain slopes."
They grow slow in my area. It seems we are at the northern edge of their range. Dad planted some ~30 years ago and I've yet to see any flowers. They should have been spread out more, which hasn't helped their growth any. They have large, really distinctive and pretty leaves in my opinion, which more than makes up for the lack of flowers right now.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

That's the one. There are 25 seedlings coming. About 15 or so will be planted on my side of a property boundary WAAAAAY up in the corner of my back 40 where a new owner of old property has erected a HUGE deer stand about ten feet from my property line.
The rest will line the lane from the road to the house -- about 50 ft apart, between existing plantings.
cheers, and thanx to all
oz