Iris seedlings

I have been growing some Irises from seeds since about April/May. I was wondering when I should plant them in the ground. NYC zone7.

Reply to
Theodore Padouvas

Are these bulb iris (sometimes called Dutch iris) or rhizome iris (e.g., bearded iris). In your area, you should plant bulb iris in the fall just before the first frost. You should plant rhizome iris about the second week they are available in local nurseries (real nurseries, not hardware stores or lumber yards).

Reply to
David Ross

I am not sure what type. They are irises I started from seeds this spring which I got as a gift.

Reply to
Theodore Padouvas

I had mine in pots for the first 2 years, give them a chance to grow good before I put'm out in my garden.

Reply to
starlord

I guess that is what I will do. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Theodore Padouvas

If the foliage is thin, grass-like, and dies down in the fall, they are likely to be bulb iris.

If the foliage is blade-like, forms a fan, and persists through the winter, they are likely to be rhizome iris.

Reply to
David Ross