aphids on cherry tree?

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just purchased a new (old) house and in the corner of the lot is a cherry tree that's absolutely infested with aphids. It's not huge - About 10 feet tall and 10 feet in diamter.

What's the best way to get of these critters and bring this tree back to its former happy state?

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
gglave

A 2% soap solution is the quickest & best aphid control. This would be about two ounces of dishwashing detergent per gallon of water, in a sprayer. There is no extra "oomph" from paying extra for special insecticidal soap where aphids are concerned, dishwishing detergent is fine. Drench the tree especially the undersides of leaves. Once is usually enough but at most a second time two weeks later.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Any general broad scope insecticide should do the job. Check the label for specific bugs it attacks and if it is suitable for fruit trees. Don't forget protective gear, including a breather mask and try for a calm day.

Sherw> Hi Everyone,

Reply to
sherwindu

In the longer term, try hanging some bird-feeders to attract small birds to the area. They will eat the aphids.

Reply to
Ornata

I am fortunate enough that my ivory-colored garage sits directly in front of my vegetable garden. I used to have significant aphid problems. Then one ear the asian ladybugs moved in (they were imported as home garden pest controls) and I have never had problems since. The aphids reappear in late october, after te ladybugs have turned in for the winter. thousands of them overwinter in the garage, since in their home range they overwinter in ivory-colored rock cliffs. So, if you can find a way to maintain a ladybug population, they will eat nothing but aphids.

Reply to
simy1

Thanks for the tip - I gave it a good drenching yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
gglave

In my opinion, chemical controls are overkill for aphids. In additio to soap spray and ladybugs, control the ants that are likel harvesting aphid "honeydew" by applying a sticky barrie like tanglefoot around the trunk of the tree. Also keep in mind tha pests often attack compromised plants. Aphids tend to be associate with drought stress. Assess the overall health of your tree I hope this helps

Reply to
risingsungardens

We bought the house a month ago - It's definitely not the happiest cherry tree, but I'm hoping getting rid of the aphids is the first step. We live in the Pacific Northwest, so the tree will get lots of water October - June, but it is quite dry right now. Should I "water" the tree? How do I do that? It's not huge - About 12 feet tall and 12 feet in diameter with maybe a 6-inch trunk?

If I move in some ladybugs how do I get them to stay in the tree? Don't they just all fly away to the neighbour-lady's beautiful garden? :)

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
gglave

The problem with soap sprays are that they kill by contact. When the leaves are rolled up, it is very difficult to coat the underside of them, to do the job. Chemicals on the other hand form more of a mist that has a better chance of reaching the aphids.

Sherw> In my opinion, chemical controls are overkill for aphids. In addition

Reply to
sherwindu