Ants, still

Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with Terro liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the empty containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3 parts of sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however it hasn't stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go away for a few days after a week or two, but then are back full force. Are they not getting it back to the nest, or is it just not effective enough? Last summer I tried mixing with peanut butter and that didn't work any better, however they didn't seem as attracted to that as they are the sugar and water mix. Guess I'm just doomed to have hoards of ants. At least I can lure, and control, kinda, where they go.

Reply to
Paul

Assuming one has low velocity winds and protective grasses and foliage, I've always used boric acid as is from the bottle. I apply it to the obvious trails, and to the nest entries if I can find them. I'm in a drought area, and ant's mounds are not apparent. They moved strictly underground, no mounds visible.

If you're not in an area of drought consideration, flooding the ants nest with water will make them move elsewhere. Their new location will be by their own device, not yours.

Reply to
Grasshopper

I'm seeing the same problem except ants are diminished and not seeing any scouts in the house. Worse year I've seen for ants. Been cool summer up until last week and lots of rain. I thought boric acid was supposed to kill the nests.

Reply to
Frank

I use 1 t (teaspoon) powered boric acid to 1/4 cup of sugar. Place in a cup and they take it back to the nest. I place about 4 in my basement and it lasts years. Consider Oil of Pennyroyal in the basement a few drops deters too. 12 drops on the sill in 3 locations where you see ant sign works here. But and I mean BUT I'd not use in living quarters as the smell is pleasant at first then becomes cloying.

Please note this is essential oil of pennyroyal aka concentrated keep off skin etc.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Or get a macro lens for your camera and go to

site Bill told me about) for inspiration.

Reply to
Billy

The concentration may be too high, try one part boric acid to 18 parts of sugar. The concentration you are using may kill them before they have a chance to carry it back to the nest. If the bait doesn't get back to feed the queen, she will just continue to lay more eggs. Boric acid is not the same as Borax. Keep on feeding them!

Reply to
Phisherman