Another "whatisit" :-)

Ok everyone, point your browsers to http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm and take a look. We just noticed this vine around a trellis that also has a Clematis on it. Although it is possible that it was there before, we have never noticed it and sure would like to know what it is.
Please note the seed pods.....it is not a Clematis, is it?
Your expertise would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Don & Rhonda
Hyacinth Bean Vine (Dolichos lablab).
Donald Gares wrote:

Definitely hyacinth bean. Collect the pods after they turn brown and dry on the vine and plant in the late spring outside or start inside in late winter. I remove the beans from the dry pods and soak in warm water over night before planting. They like the heat. The pods on mine are starting to dry now.
Vox Humana wrote:

Hey, thanks to both of you.
What we don't understand is when we look them up it states that they are grown as a perennial in zones 8-9 and as an annual in zones lower than that. Well, we are in zone 5 (southeast IA) and we sure didn't plant them so how did they get in our flower garden? Might they have managed to winter over this far north?
Don & Rhonda

dry on

over
starting
Most likely the seed found its way to your garden. I may have come along with a plant or an animal may have deposited it. The seeds seem to be able to over winter and then sprout the next year. I got my seeds from a local nursery that grew them on a fence (yes, I asked before taking the seeds.) This year they didn't plant the vine, but I noticed a few volunteers. I am in zone 6. I collected a large number of pods last year from the few plants that I grew. I started some myself, and gave away some seed and I still had way too many. I looks like I will repeat the cycle this year.
oo, oo, oo, if youse has extras this year.........e-mail me and I'll gladly take a few dozen of em'!! (I might be able to snarf up some swamp sunflower seed from the sparce plants the fairies bequeathed me this year, I expected a field of them and the joke was on me, I got five plants. Looks like coreopsis gone haywire. I LOVE it!!! So this time I'm deliberately gathering up seeds and dispersing them......before the finches strip the seeds I have....... madgardener

A gift from some bird; a seed in applied mulch; a volunteer in some plant brought home from the garden center; unearthed from below the frost line when the soil was worked? Who knows? Collect the pods, let then dry, store the seeds in a cold place and plant them around May 15 next year. See how long you can keep this freebie going.
Donald Gares wrote:

have any extra seeds, Vox?? madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler needing some of those awesome black and white seeds to try and establish next spring.....................<g>

The drought here made my crop this year non-existent - but if you're willingto give some one year old seed a shot I have plenty to share.

Hey, everyone who requested seeds......
If you actually want some AND we have some extras we will certainly share them. Just e-mail " snipped-for-privacy@crsales.com" (one of our domains) and IF we have them available we will send you some.
Cheers,
Don & Rhonda