Advise re: potentilla shrub

We have one in our garden, with mixed results from year to year. Its blooms are white, and it seems to flower in abundance early in the season . However, in previous years it stops blooming after its first display, with only an occasional flower showing here and there....How should I care for this attractive shrub in order for it to bloom throughout the summer. We are in zone 5, and the shrub is in a semi sunny location. Right now it is in full bloom, but I fear for a repeat performance. Much obliged ! Ben

Hi Ben,
Potentilla is a shrub which enjoys blazing hot sun, poor, chalky soil, and minimal watering.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
Potentilla blooms like crazy when it's in flower, but like most perennials, it doesn't flower throughout the summer. If you prune out the flowers on some perennials, you can get a second bloom, though it's usually sparser and smaller blooms than the first time around.
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything perennial that reliably blooms throughout the summer, other than some roses.
What zone are you in, by the way??
Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

May and don't quit flowering until weather becomes chilly in the fall. As a bonus, the abelia is very drought tolerant once established, is not a rapid grower, and is not bothered by bugs or fungus. It often holds it leaves during mild winters. (zone 6) It's not a show stopper but is quite attractive with its modest, bell-shaped flowers.
JPS

it's reliably hardy in zone 5. For all season bloom, we usually wind up with tender perennials, boo hoo.
Suzy O
Agreed, Glossy abelia (Abelia X grandiflora) is a great flowering shrub. Most people don't even realize it has such lovely blooms, because they shear it into a meatball! Butterflies and hummers love it, and it has a lovely scent. I'm surprised it makes it in zone 6 winter. I thought it only hardy to zone 7. Even when it is not in flower, the pink calyces give it the look of still being in bloom.
Emilie NorCal
mleblanca wrote:

Abelia X grandiflora is not Potentilla.

USDA Zone 8

Of course, the glossy abelia is not a potentilla. Someone asked the question about a shrub that flowered most of the summer, and I replied that the glossy abelia was an excellent choice in zone 6. BTW, both the white and pink varieties perform well in zone 6, northern AR. The white variety has no aroma that I can discern, but the pink variety has an incredible aroma. It's not as potent as the korena spice viburnum or the mock orange, but then they only flower in the spring.
JPS
I have a red potentilla and it grows very long and is uncontrollable, and is mediocre in terms of flowers. Anyone have any ideas on how to tame this thing?