Advice on germinating liatris ligulistylus

Greetings! I have been trying for years to get seeds of liatris ligulistylus to germinate. The more common type of liatris self-seeds readily enough, but the ligulistylus won't germinate indoors or out. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. I haven't tried stratification in the refrigerator since I wasn't getting germination outdoors either where I figured it was occurring.
Thanks!
MMoniker US zone 5-6
I bought L. ligulistylus by accident, way too big for my garden. Sprouted them anyways. Stratification is necessary, mine germinated in the fridge -- didn't even wait for me to take them out. :)