Did I waste my fertilizer?

I live in Southern California. Our rainy season is in January/February/March. That's it.

Since there was a forecast for rain next week, I put about 500 lbs of fertilizer on shrubs and lawns. This is the granulated stuff, 21-15-8.

Now they cancelled the rain and there is no rain in sight for 3 weeks.

The fertilizer granules just sit there and slowly disintegrate.

Does granulated fertilizer become ineffective if it is not watered into the soil for three weeks?

Reply to
Walter R.

Nope, it might burn the turf depending on rate of application however. Did you ever do a soil test?

Reply to
bamboo

A good rain to wash it all away should take care of that.

Reply to
Warren

Well, a good rain is what I am praying for. But, it may not happen for weeks.

Reply to
Walter R.

You can accomplish the same thing by hosing it off.

Or you could have simply poured the fertilizer into the storm sewer, and you wouldn't need to wash it off. Eliminate the middle-man.

Reply to
Warren

Five hundred pounds is a hell of lot of fertilizer! (Well, perhaps not if you have 5+ acres.) Most fertilizer will just sit there inactive, until it is watered in. The package directions will provide better information than here.

Reply to
Phisherman