Above-ground Stump removal ideas needed

Page 2 of 2

That's not completely true. At a local golf course where they cleared some woods, all of the stumps were taken out with an excavator and placed in a huge pile. Then some special piece of machinery was brought in that looked like a 10 foot diameter cylinder, maybe 8-10 feet high. Inside the cylinder was a giant flail spinning at a high speed. The giant stumps were dropped in and what came out of this machine was a nice steady stream of rich looking soil. I think it was less than 30 seconds to reduce a stump of a 18" diameter tree to 'nothing'.
-al sung
(snip)

Taylor special. Guess things have progressed a little since I got an inside job. Ordinary stump grinders and towed chippers for liftable chunks were all I ever got to see close up, and both of those weren't that hard to jam.
aem sends...

Drum grinders. Come in big and bigger sizes. They are what are used for logging operations, and municipal yard waste recycling.
Amazing what you can find on the 'net, if you do a thorough search for chipper/shredders. <G>

Yeah it's called a tub grinder, make nice mulch.

I read through the thread and don't really see any suggestions that you can use except for possibly burning. My approach would be a comgination of some of them. Pressure washer to get as much dirt as possible off, chain saw to cut them into chunks you can move.
No, cutting up the dirty root balls will not destroy your saw. It will destroy your chain, bar, drive sprocket and possibly the clutch. These are easily replaceable and not that expensive. Even just pitching the saw away at the end of the job will be cheaper than any other method (except burning) You will also be sharpening the chain several times while working.
This is one of those jobs that will cost money (unless you can burn them in place). Some jobs just can't be done 'on the cheap'.
Harry K
There's another approach which is easy, inexpensive, and won't damage anything, but it does take a lot of time: rotting it out.
Wood will decompose into soil given four additional ingredients: air, water, nitrogen, and bacteria.
Air: Expose as much of the stump as possible. Drill holes into it to let air in.
Water: Water it frequently; try to keep it moist. If you can, rig up a drip to keep it constantly moist. If possible, keep it out of the sun so it won't dry out as quickly.
Nitrogen: Apply a high nitrogen fertilizer
Bacteria: Get some rotten leaves or soil (the stuff you scoop out of your gutters is good), and spread it over the stump.
If you see mushrooms growing on and around the stump, and see grubs burrowing in it, then you are doing it right. Fungi, insects, and bacteria will all work to convert the wood back to soil.
If you keep a compost pile, start a new one on top of the stump.
It may take a year or more.
--- Chip
snipped-for-privacy@red.seas.upenn.edu (Charles H. Buchholtz) wrote:

Better yet, drill holes in the stump, and pour in some stump remover (aka KNO3; potassium nitrate; saltpeter) which you can get at the hardware store.
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:07:45 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

He isn't covered by insurance for this???? (Unless it fell on the house I suppose.)
Sounds like disaster cleanup to me.
-v.
In article snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

As has been discussed before, even talking with your insurance agent will require him to register your conversation in a database used to raise your premium. If you see your insurance agent walking down a street, divert your eyes, walk in a different direction, and don't let him see you.
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:57:15 -0500, someone wrote:

people who have a history of numerous petty claims, like they are "trying to get their money's worth" out of their insurance. Naturally there will be some folks who claim its not their fault, they are not like that, its just circumstances, and maybe some are right, but they fit the pattern.
But THIS TIME there was a frickin' HURRICANE. Everybody's premiums in the whole area are likely to be effected by such conditions, while OTOH nobody in the area would not stand out merely for making an inquiry.
In the age of computers, that insurance companies track each covered premises, is fearful news only to superstitious homeowners. We operate four commerial properties and it is routine that RFPs for renewal quotes include a 3 year "loss run" (history) for each location. A zero loss report or inquiry is just that, no loss. Not a big deal. "Required to register" makes thing sound much more sinister than they are. There is a 'file' on each property - so what - no surprise there.
But as OP clarified, as the trees did not hit his house, they are 'merely' landscaping and not covered.
-v.
Beg to differ. Case in point Farmer's insurance in exas in 2001-2002. The majority of people had rates rise 75-150% for no claims at all. and a lot even went up 200% for very small claims.

Nope. Get a CLUE.
http://oci.wi.gov/pub_list/pi-207.htm
"C.L.U.E. reports indicate losses by type. Consumers should be aware that contacting their company or their agent to discuss an actual loss might be considered reporting a claim, even if the company does not end up making a claim payment. This is because when a loss occurs, the policy requires the company to take specific actions within specified time frames. Consumers should be specific as to whether they are filing a claim or only making an inquiry."
http://www.realestatejournal.com/buysell/taxesandinsurance/20030814-spors.html
"Many home insurers count inquiry calls -- calls in which homeowners simply ask informally whether their policy will cover certain damages and are told that it won't -- as unpaid losses."
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote in message

The only way I can think of doing it on the cheap is to dig a bigger hole and roll them in. Let the termites take care of them.

Hose them clean, varnish them, and sell them as art.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) wrote in message

This sounds like the best idea.. after all he has a root ball pulled out of the soil and if he cuts the trunk off close to the root ball, it won't be too much more digging. ---leo/lee
(Beecrofter) wrote in message

In theory this sounds like a good idea, but it's not as simple as it might sound. The larger of the two stumps--even with all of the tree trunk cut off--is roughly a cube 6' on each side. The hole next to the stump is the same diameter but only about 1 foot deep. (I'm guessing that since the tree went down when the soil was saturated with water there was something akin to a small mudslide that filled in the hole.) Given that this soil is mostly clay, I don't see anyway short of using a backhoe digging a hole of that size.
I have come to the conclusion that no method of removal will be easy (or even close).
Some folks have mentioned using homeowner's insurance to cover the cost of removal. We're already contacted our insurance company. Since almost every home in this area has some damage, we figure whether we make a claim or not our rates are going to be affected. Unfortunately, insurance only covers trees that have fallen on the house, and so since these trees did not hit the house, that is not covered.
Tony

Bad idea. Even if the main colony of termites doesn't attack his house from where they are, the next swarm could put 10 colonies along his stem wall, three inside and five at his neighbor's house. The entire neighborhood will be panicked when they see termite alates (queens and kings) on their windowsills both inside (some will get lucky and fly in) and outside... and guess who they're going to blame it on.
Dig up the root balls. Get what you can of the roots. Chop them up with an axe (being sure not to hit any pvc pipe underground) and throw them away.
alt.consumers.pest-control