Zones?

hey all :)
I was wondering if someone could tell me what these "Zones" are that keep reading about on here, and how do I find out what my "Zone" is?
I live in the West-Midlands U.K.
thnx :
- YT209
Say it with Flowers,,,Give her a Triffid :
----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
Do a search in google for growing zones for your area. Here's a map of North America. It's based on what plants grow best based on each individual climate.
http://www.rrvgardenclub.org/zones.html
I found one listed for your area but for some reason that map (web page)wasn't working. If I find another for your area I'll post it.

Try here:
http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html

We don't much do zones in UK. ( I'm in Dorset) In the US, you can have a vast area of desert or prairie country or whatever and all of it will have pretty much the same weather patterns.
The UK is too small and the topography too complex, and changes over very short distances for zones to really work. I've seen it on a map once and almost all of UK is zone 8, with the south and west coasts zone 9, but this doesn't take into account frost pockets etc. Our weather here is often drier than the forecast says it will be because the clouds and rain get diverted to the north of us by the purbecks.
Steve http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot
shazzbat wrote:

http://www.lunehaven.com/finyourgrowz1.html
--