Where To Find "Mini Pearl" Currant Tomato?

I have searched high and low and no one seems to have these anymore. They are (were) the best currant tomato I ever grew - tasty and disease resistant. The heirloom currants from Mexico that I tried last year succumbed early to pestilences that don't even touch my Brandywines.

I would even be tempted to try to hybridize it myself if someone could tell me what its parents are.

Alternative cultivar suggestions are welcome but please recommend something that is a currant (teeny weeny, pea-sized) tomato and moderately disease resistant. The "Supersweet 100's" and "Sweet Millions" just don't cut it for me, size- and taste-wise.

J.

Reply to
John

You could have a look on

and see if they have a grape tomato you like

Reply to
DanielCoffey

You might contact these folks. Their description is a bit vague, but it might be what you're looking for.

I love currant tomatoes, too. The biggest problem I have with them is that they never make it into the house, I eat them as I walk around the yard.

(OG)I'm growing these this year, so I can't tell you how hardy they are, yet. You don't say what your location is, or what diseases you had problems with, but that might help people here point you towards a variety that does well in your area.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Grape tomatoes are not currant tomatoes. Currant tomatoes are _Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium_, grape tomatoes are _Lycopersicon lycopersicum_.

I agree with John, the taste of a currant tomato is far superior to most grape or cherry tomatoes.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Thanks, Penelope. Let me know how your "Sweet Pea" turns out.

I'm in Zone 5 an hour north of NYC. I have just set two "Tess' Land Race Currant" in the ground yesterday that I raised from seed purchased from Fedco. While hardening off on the front porch four of their companions caught some sort of leaf spot (just from breathing the air, apparently) so I've got my fingers crossed for the other two. As usual, all my other varieties (Brandywine, Carmello and Better Boy) are in perfect health. It's just the currants that seem so tender. Never had any trouble with the "Mini Pearl" either.

I have put the name of the blight that whacked my Mexican currants last year out of my mind, but it was the kind that basically strangled the plants -- numerous cycles of wilt/recover in otherwise carefully tended ground that resulted in a slow bottom-to-top death of the plant. The few tomatoes that I did get before yanking and discarding them tasted nice, though.

J.

Reply to
John

John,

Try this site. They have a white currant tomato which may be what your looking for:

JEM

Reply to
Jim Marrs