When to start

I started gardening for the first time last year. Did most from seedlings bought at nursery but want to try from seeds this year. I think I started the seeds too late last year. A few questions about when and how. I saw the peat pellets and they look like a efficient way to start from seeds. How well do they work in comparison to planting in potting soil? Secondly when should I start seeding. I think the last frost date for my area is Mid May. I'm in zone 5A. I want to plant eggplant, tomatoes, zuchinni, peppers and beans this year. Thanks all.
Beans, of course, you plant the seeds outside one week after last frost. Tomatoes may be started around now, but I (5b, same last frost date) start them around April 1. Zucchini and peppers are best started later than the tomatoes, zucchini start very fast and become too big too soon, and peppers should be put out later than the tomatoes, so April 15 for both. The pellets are good if expensive. Make sure they get plenty of light, some fertilization like manure tea instead of water, and pot on the tomatoes as they grow too big for the pellet.

I've had good results either method.
Secondly when

Hi,
I am NS the same zone as you and I just started my peppers and the tomatoes I am doing this week.Anything that is a warm weather crop or would take a long time.say 8 to 10 weeks Beans and zucks you do right in the ground when the times comes . I am not sure about eggplant I never grew it.
--
:) Lynn

"Ottawa" <ontario snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
Make sure you get a flourescent light, like a shop light at Home Depot. After seeds sprout, hang light about 4" to 6" above plants. Power the light with a timer, turn on for about 16 hours a day. If the seedlings do not get enough light they will be stringy and die when transplanted to the garden.