What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?

What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?
In my garden (northern NJ) it has pretty much stunted their growth. The only healthy, normal sized plants I have are a pair of Sweet 100's (cherry type) that I planted in a narrow bed next to the house that I normally leave to the gladiolas. It faces northwest and gets sheltered from the rain somewhat, and normally requires a lot of watering.
Those tomato plants have some fruit starting to ripen, and are normal height for this time of year. The rest of the plants, Roma's, Early Girl and more Sweet 100's, have almost no set fruit and are the height they normally would be sometime in early June. Last year, a drought year, I harvested my first tomatoes in mid-July. This year, I just picked the first ones yesterday!
What a big diappointment. I guess this is what I get for wishing for rain last summer!
-=>epm<=-
In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same. - Albert Einstein
Wow... that's exactly my situation.... I'm fairly new to this (4 years) and I was hopefull with my new 'cages' I built from remesh. My plants are only about 3.5 ft. tall and the fruit are golfball size :(
On 08 Aug 2003 17:48:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.no.junk (EvelynMcH) wrote:

I live in the meadowlands NJ area and my tomatoes are about 8 1/2 feet. No fruit for the first 4 or so feet. Lower tomato yield than last year which was a good year for me even with the drought (big water bill). Most pepper plants are pretty small compared to last years. My parsley which kept on turning white and dying last year, is going gangbusters this year. Looks like my first attempt at caged potatoes was a complete bust.

I'm jealous. Mine are maybe 6 feet, and that's only the two plants next to the house. Most of the rest are maybe waist-high. (I'm in northwestern Bergen)
-=>epm<=-
In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same. - Albert Einstein
On 08 Aug 2003 22:02:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comcast.net (KK from NJ) wrote:

We're having every-afternoon deluges too, it's been terrible for about two weeks. Everything is soaked all the time.
My garden is probably better off than most, as the mushroom soil in the tire-planter raised beds drains quickly, but it's a morass of weeds - can't get out there to weed. The grass is about a foot tall - can't cut it, it's always sopping wet.
This is just a terrible, awful year here for gardening here in the Northeastern USA. First we had a cold and catastrophically wet spring (over six weeks without ONE single day without rain!), and now we're have a catastrophically wet summer. It's been pretty cool here too, temperatures mainly in the 70s.
We went to a nearby town (about 30 miles away) to do an errand yesterday, and saw creeks and small rivers flooding all over the place.
Pat

Cracking and splitting, for one thing. Mine seemed to have slowed down production quite a bit, too. (SE Virginia -- zone 7b or 8)