What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?

What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?

Reply to
Kevin Miller

In my garden (northern NJ) it has pretty much stunted their growth. The only healthy, normal sized plants I have are a pair of Sweet 100's (cherry type) that I planted in a narrow bed next to the house that I normally leave to the gladiolas. It faces northwest and gets sheltered from the rain somewhat, and normally requires a lot of watering.

Those tomato plants have some fruit starting to ripen, and are normal height for this time of year. The rest of the plants, Roma's, Early Girl and more Sweet 100's, have almost no set fruit and are the height they normally would be sometime in early June. Last year, a drought year, I harvested my first tomatoes in mid-July. This year, I just picked the first ones yesterday!

What a big diappointment. I guess this is what I get for wishing for rain last summer!

-=>epm

Reply to
EvelynMcH

Wow... that's exactly my situation.... I'm fairly new to this (4 years) and I was hopefull with my new 'cages' I built from remesh. My plants are only about 3.5 ft. tall and the fruit are golfball size :(

Reply to
Kevin Miller

I live in the meadowlands NJ area and my tomatoes are about 8 1/2 feet. No fruit for the first 4 or so feet. Lower tomato yield than last year which was a good year for me even with the drought (big water bill). Most pepper plants are pretty small compared to last years. My parsley which kept on turning white and dying last year, is going gangbusters this year. Looks like my first attempt at caged potatoes was a complete bust.

Reply to
KK from NJ

I'm jealous. Mine are maybe 6 feet, and that's only the two plants next to the house. Most of the rest are maybe waist-high. (I'm in northwestern Bergen)

-=>epm

Reply to
EvelynMcH

We're having every-afternoon deluges too, it's been terrible for about two weeks. Everything is soaked all the time.

My garden is probably better off than most, as the mushroom soil in the tire-planter raised beds drains quickly, but it's a morass of weeds - can't get out there to weed. The grass is about a foot tall - can't cut it, it's always sopping wet.

This is just a terrible, awful year here for gardening here in the Northeastern USA. First we had a cold and catastrophically wet spring (over six weeks without ONE single day without rain!), and now we're have a catastrophically wet summer. It's been pretty cool here too, temperatures mainly in the 70s.

We went to a nearby town (about 30 miles away) to do an errand yesterday, and saw creeks and small rivers flooding all over the place.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Cracking and splitting, for one thing. Mine seemed to have slowed down production quite a bit, too. (SE Virginia -- zone 7b or 8)

Reply to
Frogleg