What do you use to make the rows in your Garden?

Page 1 of 2
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.
: Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden. : :
Mostly I don't make rows but where I do I use a string line.
David
Stuntz wrote:

I have to make rows only about 10% of the time. But when needed and with bare soil (most of my soil is covered with last year's leaves), I just scratch a row with an old tent stake. I don't even need to backfill it because I have made it an habit to mix my seeds with playsand.

Why are you thinking that you do not even need to backfill it because you have made it an habit to mix your seeds with playsand?
-- Lady Chatterly
"Lady Chatterly emailed me recently complaining that you seem reticent about the severe defeat you suffered in the quote debate' with her. She does not understand why you have to be such a sore loser and refuse to respond to her any longer. What's up with that, Kenny Kakes?" -- Daedalus
Lady Chatterly wrote:

I make rows for tatsoi, arugula, carrots and lettuce. Those seeds are small enough that being under a 1/8 of an inch of sand is enough. Keep in mind that I mix one teaspoon of seeds to 1/2 gallon of sand.
wrote: : > > : > >I have to make rows only about 10% of the time. But when needed and : > >with bare soil (most of my soil is covered with last year's leaves), : I : > >just scratch a row with an old tent stake. I don't even need to : > >backfill it because I have made it an habit to mix my seeds with : > >playsand. : > : > Why are you thinking that you do not even need to backfill it because : > you have made it an habit to mix your seeds with playsand? : > : > -- : : I make rows for tatsoi, arugula, carrots and lettuce. Those seeds are : small enough that being under a 1/8 of an inch of sand is enough. Keep : in mind that I mix one teaspoon of seeds to 1/2 gallon of sand. :
Whatfor is it in your mind that Lady Chatterly is an human?
David
Cocker shells and pretty maids of course!

Two broom handles, string, and a tape measure. I've actually used a square to keep the garden, well, square. And I use the tape to actually put the seeds in the ground at the proper spacing. Please don't laugh at me. ; )
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:21:25 -0500, "Ken Anderson"

How's about if we snicker quietly behind your back?
My "rows" have more in common with a snake than a square! Trying to put everything in straight lines would waste space in some places and crowd plants in others. And then there are the basil plants that pop up between rows, I don't have the heart to pull them all up. Not to mention those late or extra vegetable plants I always end up with, I can sorta squeeze them in those odd corners and wiggles.
Penelope

seeds
I find it torture to thin, also. About the tape measure, I use graph paper to lay out the garden, so I've gotta use the tape to get everything just right. Here's a freebie for making the paper: http://www.graphtablet.com /

Ken, I take it you are a Capricorn or at least an Earth sign?
Badger

I am a March 30th Aries. I'm afraid to ask what that might mean. Ken

It may mean that you should plant grains and leafy annuals on March 30. Or that you should not. Depends on which gardening almanac one reads.
Olin
Grandpa always said, "you will have more plants in a crooked row". Steve

My garden beds are 4' X 8'. I use 8' long 1X2 furr strips (actually 3/4 X 1 1/2) with shallow saw cuts at 2" and 3" along the length to space seeds at multiples of 2" or 3" depending on the plant or seed, then plant on both sides for the furr strip to make a double row. . There are usually four double rows spaced 1' apart. As an example, I can get 72 onions or garlic bulbs spaced at 5" (by interpolating) in one 4X8 bed. After planting, I replace the furr strip with an 8' long drip tape for each double row spaced 4' apart on a 1/2 inch drip tape header. The drip system is transportable between all of the 4X8 beds. Most of the tapes have been in use for about 8 years - some have had to be replaced when damaged by tools. Olin
My eyes and a hoe or shovel. I put to markers at either end of a row to space where I want it and use a series of short straight strokes to get fairly straight lines.
It doesn't really matter when growing watermelon, though. They vine out from the seed in 4 or more directions.
I get more good eats than bad eats out of it so I'm happy.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

Heck, next to no comment.

Is that how long have you thought you were happy?
-- Lady Chatterly
"How long after deciding she's a bot do you plan to keep talking to her, moron?" -- Daedalus
Ok Guy's, Gals the reason I asked this question is that I am tired of using a hoe to make my rows. My vegetable garden is usually 50 ft by 50 ft. or somewhere close. A pretty good size "I think". I have a small garden tractor with a rear hydraulic tiller attachment. I usually amend my garden with compost & peat before spring then till and make my rows by hand. I am not getting any younger so thought I would purchase a hipper or furrower for my small tractor, a Catagory "0" 3-point hitch. No one that I can find makes any attachment for the Lawn and Garden Variety tractors that will make rows.
I ended up building a furrower attachment this weekend that will attach to the back of my rear attached tiller. I was just woudering if anyone had any better Ideas.
I have really enjoyed reading this thread and you all seem to be very dedicated. Thanks for your replys and ideas.
The weather is beautiful in South Texas and I will have my Onions, Carrots, Celery and a few others in the ground tomorrow. Thanks Gregg

Well, now that I understand your question now, I use a rake first to get everything all smooth and purdy, then a hoe for the trench. I fill in by hand. Kills my back.

I have a small real tractor with a 4 foot tiller on it. It has wheels at the edge of the tilling area. I use their tracks as the paths for my beds. I use a GardenW seeder to plant seeds.

I was thnking about doing something similar to attach to my tiller.
John!