What are these white cottony-like thingies on my plants....?

We had an extremely wet spring. And now a lot of plants in our garden have this white, cotton-like fuzzy stuff on some of the stems and stem axes. It reminds me of mealy bugs but I have only ever seen those indoors before. Can anyone guess what we have please?
In article

Mites?
snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) wrote:

I never saw mites like that.
Phaedrine Stonebridge said:

Well, I hope these aren't fungus patches. Pythium rots will produce patches of white fuzz, and has been reported at higher than usual rates this year, due to the wet weather.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

We had an extremely wet spring here so that is also a possibility I guess--- if it is white and cotton-like in appearance. Thanks. I will look it up to see.
In Georgia we have mealy bugs outside. You can occasionally see them as well as their telltale residue. Spraying with Safer's agricultural soap has always worked for me but some swear by isopropyl alcohol.

OK thanks so much, Monique. :)
Phae