Weird tiny wormy things

Hi,
I've just started my first Kirby Cucumber patch this year and I noticed this evening a few little slimy looking critters that look basically like little pieces of earthworm hanging out around my cukes.
I have no idea what they are or if they're dangerous to the plants, so any help would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance. Chris

Could you post a picture of the varmints?

How new are you, as in; do you know what a slug looks like? I ask because you say they look slimy, and most caterpillars and millipedes don't, and very small slugs might look like pieces of an earthworm.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2010.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html
http://www.backyardnature.net/snail&sl.htm
It might help to know where you are, too.
Penelope