walnut seedlings

Walnut seedlings started last fall from seeds initially produced a lot of growth but over the winter they sat and did nothing. Over the spring and summer they have so far failed to sprout new growth. Their leaves are gradually dying but the trunks seem to be in great shape. The parent tree grows in a mild coastal climate so I don't expect they need a cold dormancy period. Indoor temps are 15 to 20 deg warmer than outdoor in winter. Does this sound like a cold dormancy issue? Are these seedlings stressed as a result? Should I try to induce dormancy?

It's a deciduous issue. The daylight hours and the temperature tell the tree when to do its thing.