Volunteer Flower I.D.

Page 2 of 2

??????? Are we talking about the same plant?
If it's common Valerian then it has no problems with heat at all. I never, ever water my plants that grow in the gravel drive and we have had drought for a long time. I live in a dry climate and rainfall the last few years would be about 24 inches at its highest and even less for those poor plants which are under the lee of the carport.
Is TN humid and could humidity be what you mean by 'heat'?

Sorry Jeff, but I worded that last post very badly. I meant that the Foxgloves neded more moisture. The Valerian seems to be as tough as an old boot as it too seeds and sprouts in a gravel section of the drive.
My

I don't know 'Jack in the Pulpit'. Can you tell me what its botanical name is please?
FarmI wrote:

Arisaema triphyllum
http://www.americanmeadows.com/Perennials/FernsWoodlandWildflowers/Arisaematriphyllum.aspx
Loves shade. Even more so than the Lily of the Valley. And that about exhausts my botanical knowledge!
Jeff

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Perennials/FernsWoodlandWildflowers/Arisaematriphyllum.aspx That's a gorgeous plant! But that description of "common in rich woodland" rather rules it out unless I move to a place with better soil and a higher rainfall :-(((
In article

I've been think about the Lily of the Valley because of all our tree cover. I think I would have trouble with the Fairy Fishing Rod because it requires full Sun. These are my kind of flowers in that they are low maintenance. Is there another name for Lavender Shower? Google keeps giving me bath gels :Ob
--

- Billy

In article

Lily of the valley was the first plant I had when thinking of a garden. Long Gone but well worth seeking out again .
Solomon Seal may be worth a gander.
Bill
<http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/solomon_seal.htm
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

:-)) Ah! Great minds and fools etc........

I was trying to remeber its botanical name when I posted but couldn't at the time. It's Thalictrum.
And another old fashioned favourite of mine is Soloman's Seal - Polygonatum multiflorum ( at least I think that's its Bot. name).
FarmI wrote:

I am currently admiring my winter veges (lots of brassicas and greens that can't take the heat) while trying not sink into the bog. For those may wonder Fran and I live a long way apart and my place is much wetter being nearer the coast.
David
Billy wrote:

The blue flower on the nodding heads? The leaves are crinkly and hairy? Borage. Loverly herb to look at, new tender shoots, leaves and flowers go well in salad, self seeds profusely.
The magenta single bloom? No idea.
David