Volunteer Flower I.D.

a wasteland plant.

Valeriana Officinalis is related but not a close cousin.

The former is (IIRC) edible. The latter, sedative.

We had valerian (officinalis) with red, white and orange flowers. The reds survived.

Reply to
phorbin

Apparently a different genus in the Family (Valeriana sylvestris).

Discribed as non-toxic, but not appealing.

Reply to
Billy

LOL ...just checked the Richter's seed catalogue and it's described as culinary.

Reply to
phorbin

See:

Reply to
Billy

Ah yes, I use valerian nearly daily.

Eau de DirtySocks! ;-)

Marvelous herb. Valerian...strong!!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

-officinalis- so as not to confooz the casual peroozer of the thread.

What for?

Aint that the truth.

Essence de pile of a year's worth of dirty socks while drying.

My wife, who'd never experienced the charm of valerian's earthy fragrance, was a study in revulsion...

I agree though our cat does not.

She thinks ditchwater is more interesting.

Reply to
phorbin

Interesting. Many cats enjoy as much as catnip, with similar effects. I've known such cats and am now careful with my valerian.

Kate

Reply to
kate

Quite right. I often forget about the necessity to be more precise.

For it's sedative and muscle relaxing effect. It's in the herbal powder mix I make for my bood pressure and heart.

I also use it for sleep, as I often have difficulty going to and remaining asleep. It is good for turning off radio station KRZY that ups it's power output at bedtime. I usually use a standardized extract for sleeping. Works wonderfully....most of the time.

Mine also. I so enjoy opening a container of valerian and then waiting for her to pick up on it's fragrance. Works every time!

Reply to
Charlie

's a gorgeous plant! But that description of "common in rich woodland" rather rules it out unless I move to a place with better soil and a higher rainfall :-(((

Reply to
FarmI

??????? Are we talking about the same plant?

If it's common Valerian then it has no problems with heat at all. I never, ever water my plants that grow in the gravel drive and we have had drought for a long time. I live in a dry climate and rainfall the last few years would be about 24 inches at its highest and even less for those poor plants which are under the lee of the carport.

Is TN humid and could humidity be what you mean by 'heat'?

Reply to
FarmI