Volunteer Flower I.D.

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know its name?

row, middle two pics.

Thanks,

Reply to
Billy

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll

Reply to
Bill who putters

I added a third to show the flowers in place. So now it is the top row, except for the borage and the onion.

Reply to
Billy

The blue flower on the nodding heads? The leaves are crinkly and hairy? Borage. Loverly herb to look at, new tender shoots, leaves and flowers go well in salad, self seeds profusely.

The magenta single bloom? No idea.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The magenta flower is Lychnis - it also comes in white. They are brilliant survivors in dry conditions which they seem to prefer and in my place the volunteer seeds sprout in a gravel pathway.

Reply to
FarmI

Indeed that is it, thank you Fran. It is odd, and reassurring that, though thousands of miles apart, we have the same floral friends. The Lychnis coronaria, the red Valerian, Nasturtiums, and the Foxglove are volunteer guests every year here, on the north side of the hill. They seem to grow wherever I don't intrude.

Oh, Happy Winter Solstice, the lengthening days will push you to start collecting your seeds. You must have about 60 days before you need to start germinating. Time to make plans.

And thanks again.

Reply to
Billy

It is indeed nice and glad to be of some help. It's very, very irritating to not know what a certain plant is. I have one in my front driveway and it's a glorious thing in spring. It took me 10 years to find out that it is a Parahebe, but beyond that, I still have no idea of its full name and I can find nothing on the Net quite like it.

The

I love common old Valerian and also Foxgloves but they don't do well here as they prefer moister conditions than they can regularly get.

My really super duper favourites of the old fashioned plants though would have to be Lily of the Valley, Lavendar Shower and Fairy Fishing Rod. I can't grow Lavender Shower here but I can on our other farm where I've tucked it inot the hsade behind a water tank on the eastern side of the house and even though we are not there a great deal, without any help on my part it thrives. I've done much the same thing with the Lily of the Valley - south facing and moist and always in shade and it keeps on keeping on.

Thank you for the Winter wishes - it's as cold as charity here ATM.

As you lot write about your tomatoes and lovely summer crops, I go a bright pea green colour. But David and I will get our turn soon and then we'll make you Northern Hemisphere types turn pea green :-))

Most welcome.

Reply to
FarmI

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take. My brother, who lives on the edge of a valley (Cleveland, Ohio), has a substantial stand of Lily of the Valley in the swampiest part of the yard. I've never seen them grow elsewhere. The only thing I've seen grow in swampier (and shady) conditions is skunk cabbage.

I was always fond of jack in the pulpit, which grew in the valley. Never a lot but always a few.

Jeff

Lavendar Shower and Fairy Fishing Rod. I

Reply to
Jeff

I've been think about the Lily of the Valley because of all our tree cover. I think I would have trouble with the Fairy Fishing Rod because it requires full Sun. These are my kind of flowers in that they are low maintenance. Is there another name for Lavender Shower? Google keeps giving me bath gels :Ob

Reply to
Billy

Lily of the valley was the first plant I had when thinking of a garden. Long Gone but well worth seeking out again .

Solomon Seal may be worth a gander.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

It thrives on neglect and doesn't need watering.

Reply to
Billy

Sorry Jeff, but I worded that last post very badly. I meant that the Foxgloves neded more moisture. The Valerian seems to be as tough as an old boot as it too seeds and sprouts in a gravel section of the drive.

My

I don't know 'Jack in the Pulpit'. Can you tell me what its botanical name is please?

Reply to
FarmI

I was trying to remeber its botanical name when I posted but couldn't at the time. It's Thalictrum.

And another old fashioned favourite of mine is Soloman's Seal - Polygonatum multiflorum ( at least I think that's its Bot. name).

Reply to
FarmI

:-)) Ah! Great minds and fools etc........

Reply to
FarmI

Arisaema triphyllum

Loves shade. Even more so than the Lily of the Valley. And that about exhausts my botanical knowledge!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I am currently admiring my winter veges (lots of brassicas and greens that can't take the heat) while trying not sink into the bog. For those may wonder Fran and I live a long way apart and my place is much wetter being nearer the coast.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Not true. It dies here in TN unless heavily watered. It's no heat lover either.

Reply to
D. Arlington

Then you have a different flower. My come up out of uncultivated clay and lives lone enough to seed for the following year. I have taken to watering mine when I think of it, because they are free beauty, along with the red valerians, fox gloves, and the nasturtiums, but they endured a decade of neglect, when we first moved into this house.

Reply to
Billy

From the Valerian we planted a few years ago, only two plants of eight survived neglect. (Valeriana officinalis Anthos) Valerian and our variety are listed as hardy from zone 4 to 9.

And it might be our variety, but in the riot of plants we have growing, they don't seed at all.

Zone 5... sandy soil.

Reply to
phorbin

I have no idea how they do it. I had two empty pots from the basil the year before, and the red valerian moved in. It never comes up in cultivated soil for me. See Garden:

Billy