VINTAGE OLD ANTIQUE MINI WINE PRESS-EBAY-$25

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemC29682374&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Hmmmm. That makes me wonder what I have, the bargain from an early summer garage sale. Mine is the same size, but the metal parts, cast iron, have beautiful scroll work of vines and grapes (painted gold). Perhaps, it was a bigger bargain than it seemed at the time. :-)
Glenna (who hasn't pressed any cider yet)
Glenna Rose wrote:

I'm in the process of building a press; I have the basket just about finished, then I need to make the frame. I plan to leave all the wood unfinished, and I'll put a sheet of polyethylene sheeting between the basket and the bottom tray instead of making the collection tray waterproof. I'm not sure about the grinder though; I'll either make a somewhat traditional grinder, or just modify a cheap (new) garbage disposal.
You really can't press apples without grinding them first. The grating attachment for a Kitchenaid mixer might be good enough.
Best regards, Bob
<snip>

A buddy of mine modified a top-loading washing machine to grate apples, and then extract the juice. I suppose if the batches are of sufficient size...
Patriarch

I modified a '68 Briggs and Stratton lawnmover. Bored the sumbitch out, added the mulching attachment and 20-gallon screened hopper and I just ride over a pile of apples. The sumbitch tears 'em up. - C.

I get it...vintage wine (press). hahaha. not. - C.