Transplanting Asparagus

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for moving an asparagus bed. I'm afraid I started the asparagus without knowing much about it. I have one two year old and 2 one year old plants that are doing fairly well, but I didn't prepare the soil and they don't have much room where they are. I would like to move them to a better raised bed, but am unsure of the right time to attempt this. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks in advance.

I don't think I'd transplant them in the middle of the summer....
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

If it's just the soil then ammend with compost and manure on top of the asparagus bed. If it's a space issue then buy more crowns the labor of trying to sift the crowns out of a bed will kill you. Herbicide free grass clippings and woodchips a few inches deep make good mulches for the beds.

If you Google on
transplanting asparagus
you will find plentiful information.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com writes:

I've also read to cover them good with horse manure in the winter for mulch and for protection, this in addition to normal mulching in growing season.
I agree, if it's been there awhile, you may risk injuring yourself trying to move it. If you feel you must, this is absolutely the wrong time of year to attempt it (unless you're south of the equator).
Glenna