Tomatoes curling up like corkscrews

I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.
I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.
Dan
On Jun 4, 6:52�pm, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:13:10 -0700 (PDT), "www.locoworks.com"
:On Jun 4, 6:52?pm, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote: :> I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line :> or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over :> fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I :> want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal. :> :> I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :> luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :> of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :> aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :> wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :> unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. :> :> Dan : :Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?
It's the stems. I always seem to have some leaf curl too, and do this year also (exposing the bottoms of the leaves, and it's pronounced), but I think this is probably a different issue.
On Jun 5, 10:52�am, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Look on the bright side, you can stake them just by sliding a bamboo stick down the middle of the curl!
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:52:20 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Check it out here
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/index.html
--
Susan N.

:On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:52:20 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) :wrote: : :>I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line :>or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over :>fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I :>want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal. :> :>I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :>luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :>of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :>aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :>wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :>unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. :> :>Dan : : :Check it out here : :http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/index.html
Thanks. Good approach, and appreciated, however I don't see the conditions here that I've experienced. Anyone know other tomato disease sites?

Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?

Marie Dodge wrote:

Sounds more like 2,4-d to me.
Bob
:Marie Dodge wrote: :>
:> :>> I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line :>> or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over :>> fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I :>> want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal. :>> :>> I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :>> luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :>> of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :>> aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :>> wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :>> unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. :> :> Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up? :> :>> :>> Dan :> : : :Sounds more like 2,4-d to me. : :Bob
I don't believe I've used anything like that. The only weed control I've used is Roundup and as I just posted, not for around a year.
Dan
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:50:27 -0500, in rec.gardens.edible you wrote:
:
: :> I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line :> or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over :> fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I :> want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal. :> :> I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :> luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :> of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :> aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :> wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :> unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. : :Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?
I wouldn't know. Undoubtedly some of that in the neighborhood, and in fact I've used Roundup a few times although not recently and it was so long ago I believe it would have decomposed based on the Roundup label, etc. I haven't used Roundup for around a year, I'd guess, and when I did I was careful to target weeds.
Dan : :> :> Dan