Time release fertilizers

Page 3 of 3
George.com wrote:

Thank you all for your posts. I think perhaps I may have come across different than I intended, as I am aware of most of what is being posted here. In other threads, I've stated before that I *used* to grow in raised beds, had a mulch pile, etc...and never used <duck> chemfer....Had great plants. When I had to switch to containers, I first started to make my own soil, and included much organic material in the pots, as that was what I was used too. Results became sporadic, both in varieties that grew well, as well as years that would differ. I played with the mix of my soil, with mixed results. Nothing consistent. See, I don't view this as a "political", or "green" thing, but one of consistency. What I have learned <just having inet connectivity restored after years> is that the eco-systems of containers is vastly different than land based eco-systems. ie, what works great in the ground, may not work in a container. Now, having read many posts from container specific sites, everyone else has the same problem, that try the organic approach. Looking at sites that sell organic material, one finds that the majority of fertilizers are in need of microbes and other critters to make the organic fert inorganic so the plant can use it. That, I think is the problem for organic container gardeners, some time you have the critters, some times you don't. Heck, even the temp of the growing medium makes a difference. To high or low, the critters don't work as well, or may die off.
Wow, this is long, sorry. The bottom line seems to be one of consistency. The best results for most 'weekend' gardeners, seems to be a mixture of the two worlds, at least with containers.
--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to 'weekend' gardeners. I think I probably achieved more in the garden when I still had a full time job than I do now that I just do occasional work. I was more organised when I worked as I knew I had to get it done. Now I know I have all the time in the world (or at leas till the Grim Reaper comes calling).
In article

Take your time. You have until the end of the month to complete this test. For 100 points.
Q. What is your favorite color?
A. _ _ _ _ _ _
--

- Billy
Once you finish the test, you may wish to look at the following sights, er, sites.

- Billy

I use Osmacote for indoor plants and pot plants. I'd never consider using it for something I planned to eat.
FarmI wrote:

Ok, round two....8-) Please explain. And btw, thanks for your input!
--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It works great for heavy feeders like the strawberries I grow in containers on the deck. It is not "organic" but actually it is made from organic materials. I do, however, supplement on occasion, but only with an occasional feeding when growth is rapid or a lot of berries are forming.

Is he lazy or just malicious. His senses are disconnected from rational thought.
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/whoOwnsLifeNotMonsanto.php Who Owns Life? Not Monsanto.
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DMPGR.php Death by Multiple Poisoning, Glyphosate and Roundup
Four different Roundup formulations of the herbicide glyphyosate manufactured by Monsanto are highly toxic to human cells, and at concentrations far below the recommended agricultural use levels. Researchers at the Institute of Biology in Caen , France published their latest results in the current issue of Chemical Research in Toxicology
http://www.naturalnews.com/023254.html Monsanto: History of Contamination and Cover-up http://deltafarmpress.com/news/070903-Monsanto-Patent / Monsanto seed patent 'rejections' leave questions Sep 3, 2007 5:06 PM, By David Bennett Farm Press Editorial Staff
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/05/monsanto200805 Monsanto's Harvest of Fear
Know your enemy. Archer Daniels Midland, ConAgra, Cargill, American Cyanamid, Ciba-Geigy, Monsanto, Dow, and Syngenta are the most obvious.
They want to be paid, every time you eat.
--

- Billy

For decorative plants, I am concerned about how they look therefore the bigger and more overblown they are the better they meet that criteria. Chemicals do that in bucket loads - think gross or force feeding.
For food, I am concerned about taste, nutritional quality, yield and keeping ability. Organic growing gives me that although given that I use trace elements once a year that come in a pack I don't claim to be a true organic grower. I use only animal manures, compost and teas however on beds in additon to the once yearly trace elements. I started my veg garden on dirt (not soil) that looked and acted like concrete and where not an earthworm was to be seen.
Justification for that would be impossible to do in a post as I'd have to give you 40 years reading, and garden observation cut to less than a bone. Some clues: Billy's post about soil biota and ad to that brix and baume. Do a google.

And there we have it in a nutshell.
One *must* do most of their own research and *experimentation*. What we often hope to achieve, through short example, quotations (pay heed oz, the poster) is awakening an interest in organic methods and a turning away from the status quo.
That and bashing a few heads when needed.
Billy, god luv the old bastard, has many hammers in his toolbox.... the old warrior's been fighting long enough to know that a hammer, when time is short and situations dire, is most often called for. ;-)
Charlie

Hey! I represent that remark. Humph.
Odd you planting Jersey Giants tomorrow, I'm planting UC 157. Planning on getting an early start and it should be cooler. Hit 95F (35C) today after 68F (20C) a couple of days ago. I came back from shopping feeling as light headed as an old man. I plan on starting early tomorrow and the high is only supposed to be 81F (27C). Sliding back to 66F (19C) on Friday. Eating from the salad patch and the carrots are showing. I'll enjoy my head start for awhile but your warm evenings will have you out in front of me in no time.
The hanging petunias are showing very nicely. They may replace some geraniums that have gone toes (?) up.
When one of my plants dies, I die a little inside, too. ~Linda Solegato
--

- Billy